Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Patty Tower
Votes |
Paying off Debt While Investing

Patty Tower
Posted Jul 16 2024, 23:01

I have over 100K in debt and will be focusing on wholesaling & flipping to pay it off. What would be the best strategy or suggestions to pay this off while investing into my wholesale & flipping business? What are some case scenarios? I need to invest in marketing with wholesaling while I know can also make a profit of about $50-$150K in a single flip. Marketing costs right now are roughly $1500 per month to make one wholesale deal of about $15K. 

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 23 2024, 12:16

I would target high-interest-rate debt first, anything above ~8% or so. Once that is paid off, I say gradually pay off the rest but invest more into your business. It really comes down to what the better return on investment is. Just pay off whatever debt interest rates are below your rate of return on your business. 

User Stats

Votes
Patty Tower
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2024, 12:23
Quote from @Lisa Rechsteiner:
Quote from @Patty Tower:
Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
Quote from @Patty Tower:

I always go in with offers contingent on inspection. Definitely not easy, and in Seattle, it's been competitive -I've lost out on the last two offers. I've also visited a site and deterred from offering because I won't do tear downs. Experienced investors are going in at 80% ARV minus repairs instead of 70%, but I have hope.

I've been networking and have met experienced contractors and have been receiving mentoring and coaching through experienced investors. I'm surprised at how much pessimism there is in this group. If I'm willing to invest in the right mentors, analyze deals,  and be educated with investment, the risk is minimized.

This response is exactly what will make you lose your money on your next deal. This is not pessimism, it's realism. We only answer to help people not make the same mistakes we've made. Do you go to the meetups run by Leka Devatha? Those are the premier Seattle meetups with true experts in the Seattle market.

You popped into a forum, new to the site, asked a question, and then committed the biggest newbie mistake in the book - you backlashed against the sound advice because you know better. But you came here looking for help. That's what we are giving you.

I asked for insights and advice as a newer investor and what I got was "what are you thinking..." "you're a sitting duck," "Your chance of failing is..." and "naive," etc which comes across as very demeaning. None of that is encouraging whatsoever. This is not sound advice but poor criticism. 

I followed Leka and have met her at a WAREI event.  Here is an IG post where she paid $560K for a property in Greater seattle and said comps are "$840-$1M.

Leka Video Seattle Property

Here is another where she encourages investors to look at ADUs Leka ADU post

@Jonathan Green I'll bet you are trying to scare us newbies from making big mistakes, But you are not very kind about it. Ive seen many of your posts across the forums. How about advice without the judgement?

Judgements were made about me before asking any questions. Wholesaling can be done without any money up front by driving for dollars, facebook posts or looking at MLS postings. By reading some of the posts, I can now make an informed decision, but I do not need additional judgments. There are better ways to approach someone's post.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Patty Tower
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2024, 12:24
Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

I would target high-interest-rate debt first, anything above ~8% or so. Once that is paid off, I say gradually pay off the rest but invest more into your business. It really comes down to what the better return on investment is. Just pay off whatever debt interest rates are below your rate of return on your business. 

Thank you!