Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Under contract for 2nd investment property

Richard Schubert
Posted

I'm under contract for my 2nd SFH in Akron, Oh. Found a really good deal on a 2 bed 1 bath older home in pretty decent condition. Inherited a tenant who has been in place for 2 years . Just toured the house today and it was in better condition than I expected. Needs some new windows in the near future but overall the previous owner had set the home up pretty well with a nice big newer bathroom, solid countertops, hot water heater and recent siding. Probably replace the wooden porch down the road sometime but happy with my purchase. Going to hold the two I have long term and try to add 2 or 3 per year. Already saving up for a 3rd house.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Becsi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Richmond, VA
Replied
Quote from @Richard Schubert:

I'm under contract for my 2nd SFH in Akron, Oh. Found a really good deal on a 2 bed 1 bath older home in pretty decent condition. Inherited a tenant who has been in place for 2 years . Just toured the house today and it was in better condition than I expected. Needs some new windows in the near future but overall the previous owner had set the home up pretty well with a nice big newer bathroom, solid countertops, hot water heater and recent siding. Probably replace the wooden porch down the road sometime but happy with my purchase. Going to hold the two I have long term and try to add 2 or 3 per year. Already saving up for a 3rd house.

Great job! Do you use private capital to purchase homes?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied

@Richard Schubert Congratulations. Buying a second property puts you in an even smaller percentage of the population than you already were in. 

Are you local? 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Taylor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Akron, OH
Replied

Congrats man! Every property adds to the snowball rolling down the hill.

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied

Congrats Richard!

What methods of fianncing have you been usuing to grow your portfolio? Private capital, conventional, non-conventional, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Brandon Becsi:

Great job! Do you use private capital to purchase homes?

Thank you! This home I purchased with cash. In the future I would look at most any method if the numbers made sense. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Arth:

@Richard Schubert Congratulations. Buying a second property puts you in an even smaller percentage of the population than you already were in. 

Are you local? 

Thank you! Yes, I live in Kent currently and have lived before in Akron, cuyahoga falls and portage lakes. Right now all the deals seem to be in Akron, but I search all of summit county and portage county 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @River Sava:

Congrats Richard!

What methods of fianncing have you been usuing to grow your portfolio? Private capital, conventional, non-conventional, etc?

The first one is a conventional loan through Newrez . The second i purchased with cash. In the near future I may look at another conventional or a dscr. I have spoken to Beltway about a dscr as I have yet to find anything local that provides those.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Becsi
Pro Member
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Richmond, VA
Replied
Quote from @River Sava:

Congrats Richard!

The first one is a conventional loan through Newrez . The second i purchased with cash. In the near future I may look at another conventional or a dscr. I have spoken to Beltway about a dscr as I have yet to find anything local that provides those.

I have a killer contact that does DSCR nationwide, let me know if you want her info. Shes a wealth of knowledge.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @River Sava:

Congrats Richard!

I have a killer contact that does DSCR nationwide, let me know if you want her info. Shes a wealth of knowledge.

Absolutely, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Congrats Richard, and continue investing. I cant wait to be in the 2+ club!

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @River Sava:

Congrats Richard!

Hi Brandon, I can use her contact if you can provide. Thank You in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied

Congrats Richard! A DSCR Loan will suit you just fine! Reach out if you'd like to discuss what LendingOne can offer.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied

Sounds like a good buy! Akron has been a hot area lately. If you decide you want to pull most of your cash out, you may be able to do either delayed financing or a cash out refi depending on the timing/situation. Just something to consider so you don’t have money tied up you could use for another project. I’m local to the area, always happy to connect! 

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied
Quote from @River Sava:

Congrats Richard!

I have had some friends use Beltway before. Happy to discuss further with you if interested.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied

@Richard Schubert It's good to meet another local investor. If your contract falls through, my friend just called me with a condo that he owns in Portage Lakes area of Akron that he wants to sell for 16% under the next least expensive comp in the community.  

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied

Thank you all so much for all the support! I definitely appreciate it. I have a hand full of deals to look at as soon as I replenish my working capital. Hopefully I will be shouting about the 3rd purchase soon.

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Hi, yes Ohio is a great place to invest in real estate. Congratulations on your investment properties. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Regina Blake:

Hi, yes Ohio is a great place to invest in real estate. Congratulations on your investment properties. Best of luck!

Thank you! It is just my luck but been trying to land a deal for months and as soon as I do 6 others including one that would be a great flip comes around. I need to save up some cash quick 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Congratulations Richard! Looks like you found an amazing deal. If you're considering looking in other markets for for your next deal, check out Columbus OH. You can find cash-flowing rentals at a very cheap price point - anywhere between $120k to $180k. A lot of big companies are also moving here so there is significant job growth and population growth. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied

Thank you! It is just my luck but been trying to land a deal for months and as soon as I do 6 others including one that would be a great flip comes around. I need to save up some cash quick 

If you are finding properties that fit your model, but are short on capital, consider offering opportunities for investment to people in your network who have capital that isn't earning anything. Everybody wins. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Arth:

If you are finding properties that fit your model, but are short on capital, consider offering opportunities for investment to people in your network who have capital that isn't earning anything. Everybody wins. 

Yes for sure!

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Congratulations Richard! 

Looking forward to hearing about the next one! 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Schubert
Votes |
Replied

Collected first rent and everything going smoothly so far. I see picking up a third home here soon.