Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Delarosa
Votes |
Running Compositions for Rent

Jon Delarosa
Posted

Hello,

Trying to runs some comps on comparable properties to figure out what I should rent out my primary residence for. I’ve done Zillow, filtered it based on Bathroom/bedroom size, home type, etc.

I’ve found a few but in the event where houses for rent don’t show up (due to time of posting ?)

1) are you able to see what surrounding properties DID rent out for and are now not listed?

2) If not, is there another way to run the comps on a similar site? Not trying to use a realtor but an open to it if that’s the last resort

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied

@Jon Delarosa

are you going to self manage or hire a PM?  if you're hiring a PM - let them handle it for you

or, go to a REIA meeting, make friends with a realtor, and ask them to run a CMA for you

or - look for other active rentals on a whole bunch of different sites and see what others are listed for

User Stats

Votes
Jon Delarosa
Votes |
Replied

@Nicholas L.

I’ll be hiring a PM so that’s good to know.

Will look at the other options. Thanks for the insight

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Jon Delarosa:

Hello,

Trying to runs some comps on comparable properties to figure out what I should rent out my primary residence for. I’ve done Zillow, filtered it based on Bathroom/bedroom size, home type, etc.

I’ve found a few but in the event where houses for rent don’t show up (due to time of posting ?)

1) are you able to see what surrounding properties DID rent out for and are now not listed?

2) If not, is there another way to run the comps on a similar site? Not trying to use a realtor but an open to it if that’s the last resort

Thanks

Try the following:

1. Bigger Pockets- There's a rent estimator tool on Bigger Pockets under tools. You may have to upgrade your membership to use it.

2. Avail- There's a rental analysis tool on Avail.  I've never used it before.  They are however providing discounts to Bigger Pockets members

3. Rentometer- I believe you can use it for free for a certain number of requests after which they have to make some $.

4. You can also go to sites like apartment.com or turbotenant and pretend you are looking for a home in your area to see what the competition is charging

5. Hire a realtor and pay them to provide you with recently sold rental comparables.
The Smith Group Logo