Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Eineke
Votes |
First Rental / First post

Thomas Eineke
Posted

Hello, I've been putting offers in on for my first rental property (single family homes out of an HOA). Anyway.... I have enough put away to purchase a few properties for rentals and kick start everything with a faster scale and keeping reserves on hand. The problem however is that first year of rental history. I do not have one year of rental history and working with my lender who also has a large portfolio says my rate would be high without that first year of rental history.

First home will be with the VA loan so I have to homestead it and then after the first year I am refinancing then turn around and do it again for the 2nd home, but I wont have to wait another year because I will have the rental history at that time.

I was thinking of creating an LLC (which I will do in the future but not for my first property) and renting the house to the llc for the first year. This will be all done with no outside parties so VA will not question anything. Just trying to create a loophole or use an existing one.

Any insight into this idea or suggesting on alternative route... I am getting older so I need to not move at a rapid pace but for my goals toward retirement I need to act now.

Thank you for your time.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied

Hi Thomas, 

What location would you be buying in when you use your VA eligibility?

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Eineke
Votes |
Replied

Joseph, The midwest. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements