Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Denise MacDonald
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Votes |
Torn between 3 cities to start investing - 'Two Driven Women' - PART TWO!

Denise MacDonald
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Posted

Hi BB Forum,

You may have read our first forum post a while ago about getting started and more entrenched in the industry on a full time basis in the following capacities: 

- Wholesale (Stage 1)

- Fix/Flip (Stage 2)

- BRRRR (Stage 2)

- Buy/Hold (Stage 3)

We are out of country investors looking at the best market to have longevity in and it's coming down to Pheonix, Houston or Dallas. We want to delve deep into one city first before moving to another.  Would really like any insights you all may have on the potential (if you have worked in them) in these markets and if you feel there is opportunity in all 4 stages of our strategy in that city.  If so, what neighborhoods in those cities do you think have most potential?  We are looking for now at B/C class neighborhoods where there are investors flipping and there is some room for growth.  

Also, if you are a potential buyer, it would be very interesting to hear from you on neighborhood potentials in your city.  We are leaning more towards Houston than Dallas, but still interested in learning any insights around the difference and opinions in those two cities in TX.  

We are working with a coach and have great tools for moving forward and really excited to get cranking. Just wanted to get a pulse from this amazing community on market potenital in these cities and specific neighborhoods, etc.

As a side note, if you work in these cities as a cash buyer, investor, title company, realtor, property manager and are investor friendly, feel free to reach out! 

All the best to you all and your journeys.

Denise & Joanna

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

Rentals in those cities MAY yield you 3% net, why bother? IMO you should look at other cities that will yield 3, 4 5 times that 

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
Denise MacDonald
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Replied

@Bob Stevens Thank you for your input.  That's an interesting number. I think it depends heavily on the deal you get and what part of the cities you invest in, but I do think when you average it, it can seem pretty low. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Votes |
  • Ellsworth, ME
Replied

Those are all fine if you know what you are doing. Phoenix, Houston, and Dallas are massive, sprawling land masses of cities/metro areas. There's probably 100 submarkets within each of those. 

The premise of the question shows how inexperienced you are...that's why you are not getting a lot of responses. We've all been there; it's okay, but you ask about housing markets like it is picking stocks. It is much more hands on and dependent upon some sort of subject matter expertise.

User Stats

Votes
Denise MacDonald
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Replied

@Travis Timmons The subject matter is not new to us, those markets are, hence the humility to ask for input.  The comment you made tells me you are unwilling to provide that, yet you still took time out of your day to express yourself. Wishing you much success in your endevors.   

User Stats

Votes
  • Ellsworth, ME
Votes |
  • Ellsworth, ME
Replied

The premise of the question was flawed. That's all; it's not a personal attack. It's like asking "What type of food is good?"...it's just too broad. Is Houston, Phoenix, or Dallas a good market? Of course they are, but get on a plane and check them out. Or lean into some sort of unfair advantage or relationship in one of those markets.

Here's an anecdotal example...I own a rental in Sugar Land, TX (suburb of Houston) and even Sugar Land has a dozen little sub markets. Due to the population growth of the last 10-15 years, there are uneven student populations in schools. Many of those districts are being re-drawn. Without knowing the nuances and potential re-districting for each level (elementary, middle, and high school), it's going to be really difficult for you to invest wisely. So, is Sugar Land or Houston or fill in the blank a good place to invest? If you know the ins and outs of the market and are skilled operators, of course, but if you buy a property that switches from Travis High School to Lamar, you're likely going to lose 10-20% of the property's value overnight.