Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Votes |
Are squatters a common problem for rental property investors?

Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Posted

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are looking to buy our first MFH in the Cleveland area, and I’m interested in knowing if anyone has had to deal with squatters on their properties. I’m wondering how common of a problem squatting is in the Cleveland area, and what strategies can be used to minimize the chances of it happening. Perhaps the problem has been blown out of proportion by the media, but we would just like to ensure that it doesn’t happen to us.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Randy Vincent:

It depends on the market. I live in a market where half the occupants don't lock their doors at night. Cleveland, like most big cities, has a large number of squatters. It's important to educate yourself on how to prevent it from happening, and then being prepared to act quickly and decisively if it does happen.

The problem is pervasive enough in Cleveland that a Google search turned up a lot of news articles, helpful blogs, and other resources.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Weiner
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Replied

As a local manager we don't come across true squatters very often.  The more common issue is someone who is related to the property staying over and having to go through an eviction.  On the handful of times we have found someone in a unit we have threated to call the police and it has generally worked, they would need to show something that ties them to the unit (mail, utility bill, or lease) for the police to not get involved.  

In the event that you do have a true squatter its a fairly standard eviction process which is unfortunate but does happen in this business.

On a preventative note if you have a vacant unit you can put in a security system that uses cellular and you will get notification if anyone comes in.  If you get the police immediately then it should be easy to get them out as trespassing or breaking and entering.  

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Verna Littleton
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied

Check on the property often and install cameras if you think it will be a problem.  Just dont leave the property sitting empty for a long period of time.  If they see no activity at the property, then yes they may squat there  

User Stats

Votes
Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Weiner:

As a local manager we don't come across true squatters very often.  The more common issue is someone who is related to the property staying over and having to go through an eviction.  On the handful of times we have found someone in a unit we have threated to call the police and it has generally worked, they would need to show something that ties them to the unit (mail, utility bill, or lease) for the police to not get involved.  

In the event that you do have a true squatter its a fairly standard eviction process which is unfortunate but does happen in this business.

On a preventative note if you have a vacant unit you can put in a security system that uses cellular and you will get notification if anyone comes in.  If you get the police immediately then it should be easy to get them out as trespassing or breaking and entering.  

Thanks very much Andrew. What is the most common example of "someone who is related to the property staying over" ?

User Stats

Votes
Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Replied
Quote from @Verna Littleton:

Check on the property often and install cameras if you think it will be a problem.  Just dont leave the property sitting empty for a long period of time.  If they see no activity at the property, then yes they may squat there  

Thank you Verna. Makes sense that the less the property sits vacant, the better. And, I will definitely consider the use of a security camera.

User Stats

Votes
Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

It depends on the market. I live in a market where half the occupants don't lock their doors at night. Cleveland, like most big cities, has a large number of squatters. It's important to educate yourself on how to prevent it from happening, and then being prepared to act quickly and decisively if it does happen.

The problem is pervasive enough in Cleveland that a Google search turned up a lot of news articles, helpful blogs, and other resources.

Great advice, thank you Nathan.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Weiner
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Weiner:

Thanks very much Andrew. What is the most common example of "someone who is related to the property staying over" ?

This isn't common but we have had the following happen: former tenants, boyfriends/girlfriends staying after the lease holder left, family/friends of a neighbor in a multifamily situation, former owner or owners family after a foreclosure.  Like @Verna Littleton said, if you put in cameras and don't leave it sitting you won't have a problem.  

User Stats

Votes
Sam Yin
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

@Randy Vincent

Random squatters are much more rare than local transients or neighbors. I have had to deal with only a few over the last 3 years. They were mainly for long term vacancies, with exception of one.

The first time was 2012 when I dabbled at buying a rental. I closed on a nice house in a B to B+ neighborhood in Ontario, CA. I got the keys from the agent and went to the house to walk it. There was a guy locked in the garage. After a brief engagement, he ran off with his skateboard and never came around again. He was 20-something, likely from the neighborhood. It could have been deadly, but I never broke snap/leather. I stopped carrying 99% of the time after that because I had been out of the army a dozen years already and it too close for comfort.

Next was 2021, when I decided to take REI seriously. Upon closing escrow on a small apartment, I removed 2 transients from an ajointing lot, because they were encamped against the back wall of my parking garages. This was a C- neighborhood. I gave him and his buddy 30 minutes to clear out. One moved slowly than the other. 60 minutes later, I took all items that was left around and trashed it. It was A LOT. The next night, while at the property to let the tenants know I was the new owner, I noticed he was in the community laundry and with his phone plugged, a bottle of piss on the floor, and looked like he was going to sleep in there. I confronted him and he stated I owe him for throwing away his family possessions. I disagreed. Long story short, I put my binder down, told my wife to hold my phone and stand back. Business was settled inside the laundry room and he was removed off the property. The next night, the door to the laundry room was kicked in and no one would admit to witnessing anything. I drove around the neighborhood and found the corner where my new transient friends had relocated/encamped. After a brief engagement, they understood never to come around that building again.

I yanked a few others out, with less physical force, but I knew the risks. I have towed many cars off my properties and had to keep tow drivers safe while they do their service.

There has been a nice lull for a bit. But this past 12 months, I had 3 incidents at the same house, because it was vacant for many months awaiting repairs and inspections. I do not deal directly with it much anymore and I have a local employee that takes care of they business. He tossed out a strung out 20 year old blond that was in the shower on the last occasion. Problem solved.

Moral of the story, regardless of neighborhoods, empty homes draw attention and there are a lot of people looking for shelter. As you grow, it will happen and you just need to deal with it and move forward. Some LL may never know the work it takes by PMs to keep properties from squatters.

I feel I got lucky because it happened to me starting out and I figured that's normal. After being on this forum, I'm willing to bet it's not and many on here would not be able to quickly/efficiency clear out or not let it impact their future REI efforts.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are looking to buy our first MFH in the Cleveland area, and I’m interested in knowing if anyone has had to deal with squatters on their properties. I’m wondering how common of a problem squatting is in the Cleveland area, and what strategies can be used to minimize the chances of it happening. Perhaps the problem has been blown out of proportion by the media, but we would just like to ensure that it doesn’t happen to us.

Thanks!

I have done 100s and 100s , maybe I had 2 squatters over 10 years, SO no not a problem, 

User Stats

Votes
Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Replied
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

I have done 100s and 100s , maybe I had 2 squatters over 10 years, SO no not a problem, 

Good to know, thanks Bob!

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Hey Randy, that sounds awesome you're looking to purchase some properties in the Cleveland market!  I wouldn't worry about squatters, it definitely happens, but I don't think Cleveland is uniquely worse than other larger cities, and there's a lot of steps you can take to help prevent this problem if you have a vacant property or something that's getting worked on or you're waiting to rent out.  

User Stats

Votes
Randy Vincent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lake Stevens, WA
Replied
Quote from @David Leggett:

Hey Randy, that sounds awesome you're looking to purchase some properties in the Cleveland market!  I wouldn't worry about squatters, it definitely happens, but I don't think Cleveland is uniquely worse than other larger cities, and there's a lot of steps you can take to help prevent this problem if you have a vacant property or something that's getting worked on or you're waiting to rent out.  

Thanks David! It does seem like it's largely an avoidable issue with some simple precautions.
Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Yup, deal with them all the time. Best way to avoid them is to stay out of the ghetto.