Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

New and starting local

Posted Feb 18 2024, 08:08

Hey BP community. I am SUPER new to real estate investing - still reading, researching, and mulling over if this is something I should get into. When I imagine how I'd start out, naturally, I am thinking about acquiring a local property - probably a single family home because the multi-family units are out of my price range (for now). What I continue to struggle with is how expensive homes are in my area. Every example I read about in the books I'm reading assumes investors go and buy some 100K home. That's just not the case in my area where homes in a decent area start around $450K - that's a steep downpayment that would take me forever to come buy. Buying a fixer seems unreasonable given I have a day job. I still have reading to do, but any BP wisdom on this? Am I thinking about this wrong?

User Stats

Votes
Joey Banasihan
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Feb 23 2024, 08:44

Welcome @Timothy M. O'Neill! I'm actually in Boise and our team is pretty well networked in this area. Happy to make any connections, help with analysis, etc. I will send you a DM for us to connect!

Boise TurnKey Investments Logo

User Stats

Votes
Molly Arnott
  • Investor
  • Meridian, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Meridian, ID
Replied Feb 23 2024, 14:31

Hey Timothy! Starting on BP forums is great place to start and networking locally! It's true that our market has become more and more difficult to gain cash flow but not impossible and many strategies to consider.  Sometimes local doesn't align with your personal goals. We own both local and out of state investments because that makes the most sense for our personal aspirations. I'd be happy to sit down for coffee and chat about your goals & skillsets, maybe I can send you in the right direction for your first investment. You can also check out some of our local investment networking opportunities on this website boiserein.com/events  You'll see the one I host pop up probably next week since you just missed it, it's the third weds of every month. Hope to meet you soon!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes