Need help choosing the right business name

Need help choosing the right business name

San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes

In the near future I would like to kick off my first business and real estate investing is the only way to go as I see it. My major dilemma right now is choosing a sustainable name for the business.

Since I am 23 years old living in Silicon Valley, I feel compelled to pick a fresh name that stands apart from traditional names. Bigger pockets, this is where you guys come in...

Is it a rule of thumb to always including investments, properties, realty, real estate in the name? Or can it be something catchy like the rest of the hot start ups in silicon valley that rely on logos and branding?

Also, If I choose a traditional name, but abbreviate the domain url, will that have any negative consequences?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y

Why in the world do you need a name for your real estate investing business? Go out there and make some money man.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    Why in the world do you need a name for your real estate investing business? Go out there and make some money man.

  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    Just keep it simple. Mine is my initials plus enterprises. Names don't sell, the product does. There is a really popular restaurant by me called Eggs Inc. Simple name, great product.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Bryan L. My driving force behind starting a business is to do some creative deals. I figured it would be best to have a website/social media presence to seem official to the property owners. Also there are sharks left and right, so I figured it couldn't hurt my chances.. Thanks for the advice.

    @Sean Kuhn Thanks for the advice as well.

  • Joe StaffordPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 38 votes
    12y

    This is the perfect post for me to reply to! You have to take my advice, it is key!

    As the others pointed out just do it.....

    I am a thinker, an over thinker an extreme perfectionist in everything I do in business.... At least I was...

    I would sit for hours tweaking a logo or a postcards. Then another hour overthinking it all. I would pick a site to advertise and then sit forever making sure it was in the right zipcodes with the highest turnover etc. etc. Then business name... I would pick one, show it to 10 people and one wouldnt like it and I would change it then 10 would and I wouldnt.....(dam I sound neurotic..lol)...you get the point, anyway I stopped and started slapping stuff together and sending it, my first year I sold 4.5 million in homes. When I was overthinking everything I did jack ****.

    My point is dont overthink anything when it comes to this kind of stuff... especially your business name..... Apple, Google, Bing, Microsoft,Amazon.....all simple and frankly stupid if you didnt know what they were but look at them now....

    Sorry for dragging this post on, I just know I was stuck thinking like you and now that I don't im successful.

    Best of luck!

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Joe Stafford Thanks for all the info. It really put it in perspective to "not think, just do" when it comes to the logistics of branding/marketing. And 4.5 million is pretty damn good!

  • Joe StaffordPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 38 votes
    12y

    Thanks, I only mention it because when I was "thinking" and not "doing" I couldnt do anything.....

    Best of luck to you, remember you can always change somthing if it doesnt work out but if it works no need to change.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brighton, MI · Member since 2013 · 607 posts · 251 votes
    12y

    We did a lot of research and chose the hottest "keywords" used on search engines making it likelier that investors will find us.

    Good luck!

  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    Branding is important but you can really make a brand out of any name (as Joe mentioned above). The more important part is how you present yourself, your business, your product or service.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Charlie Galaviz - What type of investing do you plan to do? Wholesaling, rehabbing, land-lording, etc?

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Annette Hibbler Thanks for the info. I work for Google so I may have some advice you can use. The Google algorithm gives Google+ users a higher keyword search result because it is a Google company. Also you can upload the images that you want to appear on google search results. Its a great tool for shaping your Google influence.

    @Brian L. That may just be the most import branding tool! Thanks

    @Bryan L. I would like to start rehabbing. I am looking for a mentor/partner at the moment.

  • Real estate investor · Porter County, IN · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. Not to call you stupid. But long story short. Keep it simple to the point, and always clear.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Dan G. I am going to take this as life advice as well

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Charlie Galaviz - I am primarily a rehabber. When I first got started, I gave my business a name. And once I got rolling I realized that having a name was basically non-value-added. Nobody cares. It doesn't matter.

    Seriously, I think you're focusing on the wrong stuff. And don't get all caught up in "entities" either. Start making offers, buy a house, fix it, and sell it. None of that requires a business name.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brighton, MI · Member since 2013 · 607 posts · 251 votes
    12y

    @Charlie Galaviz Thanks, Charlie. I'll look into it for sure. :)

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Bryan L. I appreciate the honest opinion. I'll just go for it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.