FHA inspection repairs advice

FHA inspection repairs advice

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out today to seek some advice and recommendations regarding home repairs that I'm currently considering, particularly during the closing period. To provide some context, I'm in the process of utilizing an FHA loan for the purchase of an older house located in Enfield, NH.

Following the inspection, a few potential issues with the house have come to light, and I'm actively working to assess the potential severity and costs associated with addressing these concerns. At the moment, my main focus is on finding a qualified contractor who could provide a comprehensive quote for the various issues that have been identified throughout the house.

I have a few specific questions that I would greatly appreciate insights on:

  1. Is it a requirement from the FHA to address these issues prior to finalizing the loan agreement, or is there an option to incorporate the repair costs into the contingency and have them resolved after the closing?
  2. What are some red flags in terms of issues that would lead you to decide against moving forward with the purchase of the house altogether?
  3. During the inspection period, is it feasible to obtain a reliable quote for the necessary repairs?

I'm really looking forward to hearing from those who have experience in these matters and can offer valuable guidance. Your input would be immensely helpful as I navigate through this process. Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance.

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    1. The FHA may not back a loan without repairs being done, but they won't be addressing them. That's between you and the seller. You can try to get the seller to pay or credit you for any repair requests.

    2. Unrepaired sinkhole, major structural damage, functional obsolescence (but this should be observable to the untrained eye).

    3. Yes, that's what inspection periods are for. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 308 votes
    3y

    Dealing with FHAs is tricky. They can be really annoying about necessary "repairs". In my area (MA) they don't like chipped paint.I actually had to paint the stairs of my first duplex BEFORE I even owned it. They can be really finicky. But not ever repair will cost you the loan so that's where working with the right lender will be crucial. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.