Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Puneet Sharma
Pro Member
Votes |
How is the Market in Zip 48224 and 48227

Puneet Sharma
Pro Member
Posted Aug 11 2023, 16:20

Hello Fellow Investors,

Looking to help out a friend. He's looking to start his real estate journey and found an agent through a forum who is suggesting to start investing in Detroit, MI (Zip 48224 and 48227). The agent is offering to find a property, rehab, and manage it as well. He's getting numbers like $80K for a 2Bed 2Bath single family homes, additional $20 for rehab, so total under $100K and rent estimate is around $1000. But he's not sure about the area or potential growth in Detroit market. Any comments/feedback/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Aug 12 2023, 06:54

@Puneet Sharma it is VERY risky investing in the City of Detroit via zip code!

Also, this agent appears to be a novice (or setting you up for failure) as they should know about what areas have growth potential.

$100k for a 2/2 is high for the City of Detroit, unless at least Class B.

So, you should take time to understand the NEIGHBORHOODS in the City of Detroit.

You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities, City of Detroit Neighborhoods and comparing Metro Detroit to other hotspots investors usually consider:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/99854-deep-dive-into-metro-detroit-cities-ecorse

Contact us with any other questions:)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 12 2023, 11:23

Just here to say that I lived in the Detroit Suburbs from 2013-2017. You can be on one block and it's great, and go to the next and it's not. It is SO hard to say this from a zip code as the person above has mentioned. You really need boots on the ground here I feel. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Aug 12 2023, 14:36

We are boots on the ground:)

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Aug 12 2023, 17:53

Hey Puneet, we should connect. I live in California and own 12-doors in Detroit. I have five houses in the 48224 zip code.

Like some have noted here, Detroit can be very block-by-block. Not all of 48224 is good, just like any zip in Detroit.

The numbers you are stating aren't great. I personally wouldn't buy a 2 bed house for $100k all in in Detroit. You can get a 3 bedroom house for less than that and rent for $1,200/mo.

I help investors get started in Detroit all the time, and happy to chat if you want to shoot me a message.

User Stats

Votes
Victoria Always
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 21 2023, 21:47

Travis, can we connect and talk about Detroit?

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Aug 22 2023, 10:53
Quote from @Victoria Always:

Travis, can we connect and talk about Detroit?

Sure, feel free to shoot me a message any time.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 28 2023, 11:55

I'd highly suggest he sees these homes, the zip codes good refernce however, in detroit the block can be street-by-street almost. There are certainly other szip codes to invest in in Detroit, if he looking for properties in appreciating areas.

I'd really suggest him research deeper into detroit.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 28 2023, 15:59
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Hey Puneet, we should connect. I live in California and own 12-doors in Detroit. I have five houses in the 48224 zip code.

Like some have noted here, Detroit can be very block-by-block. Not all of 48224 is good, just like any zip in Detroit.

The numbers you are stating aren't great. I personally wouldn't buy a 2 bed house for $100k all in in Detroit. You can get a 3 bedroom house for less than that and rent for $1,200/mo.

I help investors get started in Detroit all the time, and happy to chat if you want to shoot me a message.

Hello Travis I would like to connect with you about investing in Detroit

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Sep 28 2023, 17:27
Quote from @Angela Matambo:
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Hello Travis I would like to connect with you about investing in Detroit

Sure, just sent you a message.