1031 Exchange Scenario - worth it or not?

1031 Exchange Scenario - worth it or not?

Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hi All,

I have been investing in Charleston, SC for about 4 years now and recently continue to wonder if its in my best interest to do a 1031 exchange on my first duplex purchased in 2014. I would love to know your thoughts.

Property Specifics: The duplex was purchased in 2014 for around 250k in an up and coming area in DT Charleston. Since then, I have fixed it up a bit (put in about 35K to increase rents). About a year ago I did a cashout refinance to secure funds for other properties and the property reappraised for $480k. With that said, I now have more properties but with the new mortgage (after the refinance) I am making just enough on rents to pay the mortgage (no cash flow). 

My Thoughts:

With interest rates on the rise and the fact that I am basically breaking even on the property with no positive cashflow, I wonder if it in my best interest to sell and do a 1031 exchange into a larger multifamily that would generate positive cashflow before interest rates become to high for the numbers to make sense. 

Since the property was re-appraised at $480K over a year ago the area has continued to improve and seen further  increases in real estate prices. I anticipate that if I sold, I could probably get on the low side $500K and on the upside maybe $550K/$600K. Using the conservative low sale price of $500K this would net me about $170K to use as a down payment on something much larger in a more up and coming area. I could easily put in an additional 30k or so and purchase something in the range of $800K. I guess my concern is if I sell premature and the property values continue to increase and I miss out but there is no telling and I just can't see the prices increasing all that much in the near term but perhaps after the next dip which could be another 5-10 years (who knows?)

In addition to the potential increase in cashflow by doing a 1031 Exchange, it would give me peace of mind as this property is the only one in my portfolio that is exposed to a high risk of flooding during a natural disaster as it is located in a very low lying area.

I am happy to provide additional numbers/details if there is anything I am leaving out. I also understand that a lot of it will all depend on what I can find in terms of a property and what kind of numbers I will see in cashflow but my thoughts are that if I look hard enough I can do better than my current situation - getting no cashflow. Maybe I just answered my own question but this would be a big move for me and I just want to make sure I cross all my t's and dot all of my i's. 

I appreciate any and all feedback on your thoughts. 

Thanks in advanced, 

Cole

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Adam Nishikawa Should be able to shed some light on this for you.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Cole Hopkins, Your question is more about strategic placement rather than tax implications but as a ball park figure that your basis plus those improvements minus 4 years of depreciation would leave you with a gain of somewhere around $250K of which $220 would be gain at around 19% and 30K at 25%.  So definitely plenty of motivation to 1031 if you sell.  But I think your question is more "should I sell?"

    There's plenty of magic wand slinging to be done if you want.  Those questions and conjecture are fun but hardly science - and they apply to any property you own so you've got to ask the same questions on your replacement.  And all that conjecture can lead to  a major brain hemorrhage.  

    But in your post I keep coming back to two issues.

    1. What can you generate as a return on equity  or return on asset with a new property compared to this one.  Appreciation is nice but cash is king.  If you're making the right money from your investment it doesn't matter nearly so much whether it's under water or stagnant for a couple of years?

    2. The flood thing is huge. Not just from a risk perspective. But if you're in an actual flood zone requiring FEMA backed flood insurance that is a joker that could easily come back and bite you hard if the Govt continues with it's stated intent to gradually get out of the subsidization of flood insurance. So not only can you put more cash in your pocket getting rid of flood insurance, you can also eliminate a big risk of uncertainty of what happens with that insurance down the road.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.