1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Gary Sheth
Votes |
Looking to buy in 1031 exchange in Boise

Gary Sheth
Posted May 31 2024, 10:18

Hi, Are downtown condos a good medium to long term investment option? 

Any feedback would be welcome. 

Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Todd Young
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 5 2024, 14:24

My experience is that condo associations typically charge so much in monthly HOA fees that any potential investment income gets eaten up by that fee. You are better off exchanging into an SFR, multifamily or DST investment depending on how much you have to invest.

But as always, if the deal pencils and you are happy with the returns then don't let me stop you from finding your niche in downtown Boise condos. Just compare the returns to other property types.

User Stats

Votes
John McKee#5 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
John McKee#5 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Jun 5 2024, 19:33

Look into buying commercial condo's instead.  These are the street level retail/restaurant spaces.  In commercial real estate the tenant pays for everything including those pesky condo fees

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Wallace
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Eagle, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Eagle, ID
Replied Jun 6 2024, 02:10
Quote from @Gary Sheth:

Hi, Are downtown condos a good medium to long term investment option? 

Any feedback would be welcome. 

Thanks! 

The other two responses are spot on. HOA fees in many of the downtown buildings really limit the potential for a solid ROI. Vacancy in downtown from what I have heard is also slightly higher than the surrounding areas due to all of the new high end apartment complexes that are going in downtown Boise. Make sure the numbers pencil and you should be fine.

The other thing to consider is the Condo association. Make sure you thoroughly read the CC&R's because many also have restrictions on rental (% of owners that can rent, length of term, approval prior to,no short term, etc.). Condos have very strict rules regarding %owner vs % investment and can loose their condo cert if they don't abide. This makes these units ineligible for conventional purchase which really effects the resale for owners.

I don't know what kind of numbers you are looking for, but I have a Duplex just north of downtown with a potential note assignment at 5% interest. PM if you want some more details.