Skip to content
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes

Occupants vs Tenants

Jerrell Sweeting
Posted Apr 25 2024, 06:44

If an occupant doesn't pay and violates a leaseholder occupant agreement. Can you kick them out in NYC? Do occupants evoke tenants rights after 30 days? I want to understand more about occupants' rights in NYC.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Apr 25 2024, 07:56

Hi Jerrell, I would recommend consulting with a local NYC RE attorney to confirm NYC tenant/landlord laws and regulations 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 25 2024, 09:59

Hi @Jerrell Sweeting - I'm a broker & investor in NYC. Your mixing up the squatter rights vs. holdover tenants categories. 

Squatters USED to be able to break in and live for 30 days and have tenants rights. As of Monday 04/22 the governor has signed into law the provision to NOT recognize squatters as tenants any further. 

In terms of a tenant that has paid before and had a lease, who refuses to now pay or no longer has a written lease - this is still a matter for housing court as they are a holdover tenant, not a squatter. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 25 2024, 11:21

https://www.nyc.gov/site/mayorspeu/programs/tenant-rights.pa...

User Stats

Votes
Mackaylee Beach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Apr 25 2024, 11:50

I highly recommend consulting with a local attorney. Additionally, ensure that you have issued and kept records of all required notices.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Apr 28 2024, 12:33

@Jerrell Sweeting   I know in NJ this was the difference between eviction(tenant) and ejection (just a " guest, no money agreement) of a person.   My brother had to do this in NJ with overstaying relatives. If they passed new laws and in NY especially talk to an attorney.