Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Tom Hall
Votes |
why closing cost is so high?

Tom Hall
Posted Apr 25 2024, 16:00

Soon closing on a property property cost $458k and the closing cost is really high we are doing FHA mortgage they are charging 2% of the loan plus application fee and mortgage insurance on closing for the amount of $7k and plus monthly mortgage insurance... in 2020 there was not just a thing 2% of the loan on mortgage origination loan fee!

Now total closing cost is 26k and my closing is soon, i am just feeling uneasy about this? is this normal for todays market? can someone give me some clarity ? 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 26 2024, 08:52

Your loan officer has more information than anyone here and they should be earning that 2% and explaining the numbers to you. FHA loans will have mortgage insurance no matter which lender you go to, it's a feature of an FHA loan. Not all lenders have application fees. Origination fees were in existence in 2020, but whether or not you see them on a loan estimate depends on how a loan is structured. Your only option may be to have it structured that way in order to get the loan approved and/or to pass compliance.

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jon Puente
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 26 2024, 10:00

Hey Tom,

FHA loans have Upfront Mortgage Insurance that is 1.75% of the loan amount. They also have monthly mortgage insurance on the payment. You cannot get around this unless you change to a Conventional loan.

As for the 2% origination fee, that is most likely what your loan officer is making, which is not good nor bad, just depends on the situation.  I would look on your loan estimate to see if you are getting any lender credits (Section J) to help offset their 2% fee.  When I structure a loan, I try to give as much lender credits as possible to help the client lower closing costs.  

Your job is to find or ask about lender credits. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.