Votes
Diane Kruse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Experience with used appliances?

Diane Kruse
  • Denver, CO
Posted Mar 27 2024, 17:14

I'm looking at replacing my second washer (this one only lasted 2 1/2 years new purchase) in 6 years, does anyone have experience with buying used appliances, especially at Becker appliances in Denver? Also, any experience with extended warranties, if they are worth it (Home Depot wanted $290 for 5 years), and if they are honored at rentals?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Mar 27 2024, 18:17

Anytime any of our property management clients want to buy used appliances I cringe. You never know what you're getting, the serial numbers are often wiped and they seem to break down more often. Buy new from a local Mom and Pop who beat or match Home Depot/Lowes. I have one client who buys new and gets the 5 year warranty on all appliances and tapes it on there so if there is ever a problem the tenant calls the warranty company. 

User Stats

Votes
Diane Kruse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 27 2024, 19:51

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your input.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Mar 27 2024, 20:48
Quote from @Diane Kruse:

I'm looking at replacing my second washer (this one only lasted 2 1/2 years new purchase) in 6 years, does anyone have experience with buying used appliances, especially at Becker appliances in Denver? Also, any experience with extended warranties, if they are worth it (Home Depot wanted $290 for 5 years), and if they are honored at rentals?

Thanks

Years ago we used to buy used appliances, until we got a stove that had roaches come out of it after it was delivered. That was the end of that. When I looked back on the overall savings and value, it didn't make any sense. If you buy basic American appliances without fancy doo-dads, they generally last a long time and you don't need any extended warranties. 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Guimond
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 28 2024, 05:11

I’ve always bought used appliances, we like FB marketplace and a used appliance store on Broadway (I can’t remember the name). We roll the dice, but we buy name brand with center agitator (we like Whirlpool). We’re going on 11 years with one, and 2 years with another. 

West + Main Homes Logo

User Stats

Votes
Diane Kruse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 28 2024, 08:54

Thanks Brittany, that's Becker on South Broadway. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:35

@Diane Kruse we actually buy used all the time from an appliance store.

Due to our volume, we've been able to negotiate 6 month warranties.

Will say that we would recommend new for Class A & B+ rentals. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Mar 28 2024, 10:50

If you’re going too buy used they better be less than half of new as they will pry last 1/2 as long (so sub $250). They should have zero blemishes, if you provide dented/scratched appliances you are telling your tenant that you don’t care about the property and they should go ahead and dent/scratch your property. 

I only have 12 sets of appliances but I probably replaced 2 per year  so I’m getting about 6 years on average  if you’re really having problems check a nationwide appliance shop like RC Wiley  you can get a 6 year warranty for a couple hundred dollars.  They actually do the repairs and replace the unit with new if they can’t fix  

Ps. I bought 2 used appliances. The second was a clothes washer that worked for almost a month. Then the water fill switch failed and it filled the house with water. Not good. 

User Stats

Votes
Diane Kruse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 28 2024, 14:04

I wish an RC Wiley was near me. My realtor told me a similar story of water damage from a second hand washer. I'm leaning towards buying new again and getting a warranty if it seems they will truly back it. Seriously, the machine was 2 years and 2 months old!

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Mar 29 2024, 09:30

@Diane Kruse the only place where it made sense for us in a rental was when we had a stacker washer go and would have had to replace both washer and dryer because you have to have a unit that goes together, so we bought used. 

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Mar 29 2024, 11:48

Its like buying a used car.... you can never be sure what you may get. You may save some $$ or it may break down on you and burst into flames 2 days later

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Mar 29 2024, 12:03

@Diane Kruse, I routinely buy used washers and dryers for my rentals. Those are hard working appliances with lots of moving parts and tend to be used and probably abused more often. So, they seem to break down more often as a result.

I haven't a deep dive to calculate exactly how long a used washer/dryer is lasting me but I suspect its in the 3-4 year range. Some last 6 months, others last 5+ years.

For about $300 including delivery and removal of the old appliance, I can have a replacement used washer/dryer in place for a tenant in 0-3 days. For me that is one of the EASIEST maintenance calls I get.

In addition, I will pick up some used washers and dryers locally off facebook marketplace for $150-200 and store them usually for when I put a new rental in service and need to put appliances in it.

For kitchen appliances I tend to use new appliances especially for my B class rentals because I can get matching appliances and make it look nicer. Washers and dryers are usually less visible and people care less about how they look. 

User Stats

Votes
Diane Kruse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 29 2024, 15:39

I'm going to agree on the use factor. I had a used washer for a family of 5 that lasted 7 months, a used one for two people going on 3+ years, and this one purchased new 2 years and 2 months ago apparently dying with 9 residents. In Denver I'm looking at $350-400 basic used with delivery and haul off.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ben Rhodin
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Apr 2 2024, 07:44

Hey @Diane Kruse

For our rentals, we typically end up with either Dent and Scratch appliances from the big box stores, or we go to Corn's appliance in Arvada. It all depends on where you get your used appliances, as there are too many stores out there that just pick anything off the street, give it a clean, and then put it out in the showroom as long as it runs. So at least go with a reputable store and not just the one that gives you a washer/dryer set for $300. They will break.

We have used appliances in most of our rentals, and they have all lasted longer than 3 years so far with no issues. One other thing is buying simple machines and not new and fancy ones with all the electronics, just more things to break.