Skip to content
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Loane
Votes |
Optimizing repairs for rental - Awning flashing installation & deck/staircase repairs

Daniel Loane
Posted Feb 14 2024, 15:39

Hi Biggerpockets community!

I have bought a SFH in a B neighborhood in Parma Ohio and plan to use it as a long-term rental. The property is rather old. I am not planning major updates at this point and hope to rent it out for around 1300$. The inspector pointed out multiple items but I am stuck to take a decision on two things specifically:

(1) The side entrance is missing flashing over the awning. I got quoted 250$ from my handyman. Is that a fair price and does it seem worth the investment?

(2) The back deck and staircase going up to the second floor isn't properly attached to the house. Repairs & material are quoted as 550$ to (a) use proper sized lag bolts to secure the back deck to the ledger board and (b) install 2x4s to sides of railing to reduce gaps. Is that a fair price and does it seem worth the investment?

Very grateful for all the advice from the community!

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 14 2024, 16:56

@Daniel Loane

Flashing helps waterproof and is used to direct water away from critical areas of the roof. Probably not a big deal unless you see potential for the water pool in the wrong areas over time. 

I recommend fixing the staircase. I imagine tenants will be going through here a lot. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 15 2024, 02:21
Quote from @Daniel Loane:

Hi Biggerpockets community!

I have bought a SFH in a B neighborhood in Parma Ohio and plan to use it as a long-term rental. The property is rather old. I am not planning major updates at this point and hope to rent it out for around 1300$. The inspector pointed out multiple items but I am stuck to take a decision on two things specifically:

(1) The side entrance is missing flashing over the awning. I got quoted 250$ from my handyman. Is that a fair price and does it seem worth the investment?

(2) The back deck and staircase going up to the second floor isn't properly attached to the house. Repairs & material are quoted as 550$ to (a) use proper sized lag bolts to secure the back deck to the ledger board and (b) install 2x4s to sides of railing to reduce gaps. Is that a fair price and does it seem worth the investment?

Very grateful for all the advice from the community!

Thanks!

any issues with decks you fix right away. as far as fair pricing goes.. my rule of thumb is unless i know the work being done and have something to reference, always get 3 estimates, no matter what 

agreed on the flashing. i’d personally say do it. my first rental had a basement flood the first month, so i’m hypersensitive to water and any path it may enter a gmhkmk

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Loane
Votes |
Replied Feb 16 2024, 19:31

Thanks @Paw Nouri and @Jake Baker! Appreciate your helpful advice.