• Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
New member from Los Angeles!

Peggy Liu
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Feb 13 2013, 14:26

Hi everyone!

I found this site yesterday using Google search while I was searching for a real estate mentor. I came across Freedom Mentor by Phil Pustejovsky. Whether he's a scam artist or not, what I do know is that I need to start building a network to get started. I also need a mentor to help me along the way. I've been perusing the forums on and off all day, whenever I can since I do have a full-time office job. Of course, just like most people, I would like to leave this occupation and become a RE investor. Basically, if there are any mentors out there who would be interested in helping me get my feet wet and not drown in the pool of investing, I'd love to hear from him or her!

I recently went to a Dean Graziaso seminar and even though I didn't attend the entire seminar (simply because they wanted 2K to attend a 3-day course), I came out of it knowing that I would really like to research and possible delve into wholesaling.

So any comments or suggestions are welcome in where I should start here. Btw, this site is wonderful but somewhat overwhelming for a newbie like me.

Thanks!
Peggy

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Feb 13 2013, 14:33

Hey Peggy L. thanks for joining BiggerPockets! This site is a really strong community of people looking to help each other out and grow together. You'll find people from all walks of life, in all stages of their investing career. It's pretty awesome.

I'd definitely begin on the "Start Here" page if you haven't yet. Also, have you decided what kind of investing you want to get into?

I see life like a trip from New York to California. You need two things: A vehicle, and a road map. Your vehicle is the thing you use to take you to financial freedom - like stocks, real estate, flipping, etc. Your map is the plan you build and follow.

So, use BiggerPockets for both. Find the vehicle you want to use (buy and hold, single family, flipping, wholesaling, etc), interact with users on the site who are involved in those, read blog posts and forums about the topics you like, get involved, and then start building your plan.

Hope that helps! Thanks for joining!

User Stats

Votes
Peggy Liu
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 13 2013, 14:39

Hey Brandon,

Thank you for the link and suggestions! I will definitely look into the Start Here page.

As for the kind of investing I'm interested in, it is wholesaling, preferably single family homes. Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ to invest but I do have time and motivation to learn and get started. As they say, knowledge is power and I hope BP will help me in finding the knowledge and connections I need to get the ball rolling.

Thanks again!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Feb 13 2013, 14:49

Peggy L. Welcome to BP! Brandon gave you some great advice. There's so many people on here, not just from southern California, but L.A., it's unbelievable. Be sure to set your keyword alerts, maybe for your areas, information you're looking for, types of property or ?
You'll find the key words alert just under the little blue banner at the top of the page, under notifications! Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Coga
  • Developer
  • Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Hollywood, CA
Replied Feb 13 2013, 14:56

Welcome To Los Angeles. Become a great marketer. Always remember... seller and buyer leads come first, closings second. :-)

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Replied Feb 13 2013, 15:02

Welcome to BP Peggy. There's tons of information on here (i.e. articles, forum threads, etc) on wholesaling and I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know to get started. And it's a lot cheaper than a 3-day seminar too! :)

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Jenkins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Replied Feb 13 2013, 15:12

Welcome

User Stats

Votes
Michael Galloway
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lafayette, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lafayette, CA
Replied Feb 13 2013, 15:40

Peggy L. welcome from NORCAL. looking forward to chatting with you soon.

User Stats

Votes
Maci Berkeley
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Feb 13 2013, 16:05

Hi, I am Maci Berkeley interested in Houston, TX

My husband and I run a mission hospital in Northern Mexico. We are terrible fundraisers and are looking at making money instead of asking for it! Family in Houston and there once a month so this may be the direction we go but we realize it is complicated and has pitfalls to avoid.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Pene
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 13 2013, 17:10

Hey Peggy L. I'm a first timer BPer too...kinda feel like we're new students to a new school per se :)

I look forward to the journey.

Jeff Coga nice surprise to see you here...I've watched your youtube videos and have learned a lot from it...good stuff!

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Feb 14 2013, 05:34

Welcome to BP Peggy!

Rob Pene, if you haven't already please consider starting a member introduction thread and telling us a little about your background, experience and real estate goals.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Pene
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 14 2013, 09:16

James Vermillion yup sounds good thanks for the heads up.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Feb 14 2013, 09:24

Welcome to BP Nation Peggy. May I suggest you attend Invest Club for Women RE meeting in Studio City on the third Wednesdays each month. Great place to network and learn while avoiding the guru scam artists.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Peggy Liu
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 14 2013, 13:15

Will Barnard Thanks for the suggetsion! I will definitely look into that.

And thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Cagney Moreau
  • Contractor
  • Signal Hill, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Signal Hill, CA
Replied Feb 14 2013, 13:30

welcome. L.A. seems to have a great representation on this board so you are in luck ;)