Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Justin Melton
Votes |
Financing STR Same neighborhood as current property

Justin Melton
Posted Apr 24 2024, 12:20

Obviously the location of a property doesn’t impact the down payment/financing but there is a property 2 doors down from the property my wife and I just purchased and started renting April 1.  We are killing it this month with 0 reviews to start.  I know we just bought it but I see huge upside/potential.  

I would like to buy the other one for sale but the 50k down payment would not be super practical right now as I just shelled out $50k down payment for the next be I just bought.  The property for sale is overpriced (they bought it for $175k last year and want $183k for it.  I’m sure they have a mortgage so I can’t get it for say $160 for example. Any ideas?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Apr 24 2024, 13:13

Owner financing, buying subject to, Owner carrying back a 2nd for just the downpayment part.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Melton
Votes |
Replied Apr 24 2024, 13:36
Quote from @John Underwood:

Owner financing, buying subject to, Owner carrying back a 2nd for just the downpayment part.

How can the owner finance it if they have a mortgage and owe a lot on it? 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 24 2024, 13:43

There's no easy answer. You have to find the money somewhere if you want it that badly. If you don't have it, you have to find a lender (bank, mortgage broker, private money, etc.) or convince the seller to do something creative. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

If it were me, I'd find a friend or family member with some cash, convince them that it is a good investment and say that you will manage it for them at market rate of 15-25% depending on your market. It increases your income and protects you from the risk. The other benefit is that if it goes sideways, you are just a vendor, not a partner that they are married to. They can fire you and find a new manager.  It's not an earth shattering idea, but it increases your income and protects you from yourself (wanting to scale too quickly, making compromises, and introduces extra risk).

I'd suggest taking a breath and getting a sample size of more than 1 month of bookings before buying the next one, but I get it. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 14:04
Quote from @Justin Melton:

Do you know they are carrying a mortgage? You can ask and see what happens.

Otherwise you need to come up with the 50k or whatever is required to move forward.

Maybe you could see if your lender would bundle the 2 places together in a package? You might have to put up more cash but it could work.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Melton
Votes |
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:08
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Do you know they are carrying a mortgage? You can ask and see what happens.

Otherwise you need to come up with the 50k or whatever is required to move forward.

Maybe you could see if your lender would bundle the 2 places together in a package? You might have to put up more cash but it could work.
I am 95% sure they have a mortgage.  Could I buy it on contract from them or would a mortgage prevent me from doing that (I assume it would). Thanks for the feedback as always!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:12

It is possible @Justin Melton. Maybe you could work with the owners and their lender to take over the mortgage. It isn't very common but it could be done. Some mortgages have assumable clauses.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Melton
Votes |
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:29
Quote from @Michael Baum:

It is possible @Justin Melton. Maybe you could work with the owners and their lender to take over the mortgage. It isn't very common but it could be done. Some mortgages have assumable clauses.

Thanks Michael!  It’s probably a long shot because it’s now owner occupied and we wouldn’t be occupying but all they can say is no!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:48

You are able to finance it via a DSCR loan . Lets connect and discuss some options

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 24 2024, 17:07
Quote from @Travis Timmons:

There's no easy answer. You have to find the money somewhere if you want it that badly. If you don't have it, you have to find a lender (bank, mortgage broker, private money, etc.) or convince the seller to do something creative. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

If it were me, I'd find a friend or family member with some cash, convince them that it is a good investment and say that you will manage it for them at market rate of 15-25% depending on your market. It increases your income and protects you from the risk. The other benefit is that if it goes sideways, you are just a vendor, not a partner that they are married to. They can fire you and find a new manager.  It's not an earth shattering idea, but it increases your income and protects you from yourself (wanting to scale too quickly, making compromises, and introduces extra risk).

I'd suggest taking a breath and getting a sample size of more than 1 month of bookings before buying the next one, but I get it. 

Agreed with this answer. If there's no equity/margin for the seller, then it's not going to be easy to have him/her move much on his/her price. 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Apr 24 2024, 19:14

Then you buy "subject to"

User Stats

Votes
Sean Lambert
  • Investor
  • Pacific City, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific City, OR
Replied Apr 25 2024, 01:12

@Justin Melton why don't you have any reviews yet? Income is only part of the STR game, you need reviews to up your status.

For purchasing the second one, you’ll need to get creative. Do you have a 401k you can borrow the down payment from and have the seller carry the rest?

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 25 2024, 03:25

I Would reach out to Brenna Carles with The Mortgage Shop and talk to her about DSCR.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 25 2024, 06:51

Do you have any equity in your personal residence? you could pull a HELOC for the down payment and use the cash flow to pay the HELOC

User Stats

Votes
Justin Melton
Votes |
Replied Apr 25 2024, 06:56
Quote from @Jeremy Jareckyj:

Do you have any equity in your personal residence? you could pull a HELOC for the down payment and use the cash flow to pay the HELOC

Yes we do.  We have about 200k equity in our home.  I’m just not sure about qualifying income wise since we just bought this other property.  

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 25 2024, 10:06

If you can show strong numbers, consider an equity partner.  They put up the cash, you operate and figure and equitable split.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 25 2024, 19:43
Quote from @Jacob Sherman:

You are able to finance it via a DSCR loan . Lets connect and discuss some options

Can you do a DSCR without first having some income history?

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 25 2024, 19:53

Yes absolutely . Its a no income no doc product . What is the scenario looking like ? Lets connect and discuss 

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 26 2024, 08:09

I'd approach it with a DSCR loan. You could qualify off AirDNA projections with 20% down, which is $36,600 down given the $183k sale price

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 26 2024, 08:10
Quote from @Jon Martin:
Quote from @Jacob Sherman:

Can you do a DSCR without first having some income history?

No DSCR loans do not look at your DTI at all. This means DSCR lenders would not look at your W2 income or the income of other properties in your portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2024, 14:49
Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

No DSCR loans do not look at your DTI at all. This means DSCR lenders would not look at your W2 income or the income of other properties in your portfolio.

Sorry I meant property income . . .Don't they want to see at least a year if not 2?

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 28 2024, 15:18
Quote from @Jon Martin:
Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

Sorry I meant property income . . .Don't they want to see at least a year if not 2?

No, we would not need to see property income. The deal can be underwritten using either in-place rent or the 1007 market rent (from the appraisal). For refinances (cash out or rate term), the property would need to be leased out prior to closing, and we would take that into account with the underwriting.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Apr 29 2024, 06:11

So many options here!! Either go creative or try to get a DSCR loan, although you'll probably need 20-25% down for that. Another option is to raise private money loans for the downpayment and set-up costs of a STR.

Above all I would make sure the neighborhood can support two STR. Your first property could be doing well to start because of the boost Airbnb is giving the listing, and there is a need for a STR. But after the first few weeks the listing is going to drop since it won't be "new" anymore and bookings may also drop. Plus your two properties well compete against each other! So be very sure you have a strong STR market that can support two properties so close and give you a decent profit!