• Lender
  • Chicago
Votes |
Lake of the Ozarks Short Term rentals

Jack Matthias
  • Lender
  • Chicago
Posted Mar 28 2024, 08:57

Hi everyone! For those of you with STR's at the Lake how are they doing and would you do it again? Do you think this market is over statured? This would be a full time STR and maybe come down one week in the summer for personal use. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:28

I think we are going to be seeing both more posts on this area along with increased interest @Jack Matthias

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/lakefront-empire/articles/lakefro...

The new TV show on HGTV is all about the Lake of the Ozarks.

I love that area. Really cool place with cool people. I do know that there are pockets of restrictions all along the lake, including banned areas, so you need to do your due diligence.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Turner
  • Property Manager
  • Lake Lanier
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Lake Lanier
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:31

Hi Jack, There are several sub-markets around Ozark Lake. Which one(s) are you looking into? It looks like there are about 1,200 listings in the "Village of Four Seasons" section near the Bagnell Dam.

The entire area rates really low for seasonality, so you may consider how much a week in the summer will actually cost you if that's your "break-even" time.

Happy to give you more data if you're eyeing a specific property or ZIP code.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kate Stoermer
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:32

It's highly seasonal; but definitely some opportunities. I have a client I work with who has 2 STR condos in that market. He was able to get some mid-term renters for low season this year. Its all about your cost of acquisition, of course... location/views definitely impact income potential.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Mar 28 2024, 19:09

My sister lives in the area and I can't imagine anyone planning a vacation to the Ozark Lakes over Branson. So, I can guess numbers wouldn't be that great. It has to be "people traveling to see family/friends" guest avatar.