User Stats

Votes
Sean Ruggiero
Votes |
Sean Rakidzich's STR pricing strategy masterclass, worth it? $525

Sean Ruggiero
Posted Dec 8 2022, 18:50

Hi everyone!

I've done lots of research on pricing strategy, this guy has killer free content on youtube. He claims propriety information to a masterclass for $525 which basically lays out 8 Airbnb Rule Sets to maximize revenue (which he has used himself to grow into a multimillion dollar business)

Same-old, same-old, right? I don't use FaceBook right now and am not part of the free FaceBook group. When I search google it doesn't pull up a whole lot, just some generic info and sometimes off-topic stuff.

My question, what do you guys think about these rule sets and pricing strategies, have any of you actually had a relationship with Sean Rakidzich etc? Would love to dive deep on pricing strategy for STR's. If anyone has any valuable info, please and thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Wilson Vanhook
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Texas - Conroe/North Houston
Votes |
  • Texas - Conroe/North Houston
Replied Dec 8 2022, 19:33

Likely not worth it. From what I can tell he’s in the business of content creation not actually running an Airbnb business. Look up his Airbnb profile and just take a look at his listings. Occupancy is low, tons of bad ratings, listings not very impressive. Do your research on it you’ll see for yourself.

I’ve tried to find optimal PriceLabs settings but haven’t found any public info for a great strategy yet.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 8 2022, 19:34

I do not have any specifics on this however I feel all the information you will need can be found free on here, or by asking people with the right experience.  Even armed with 7 years of experience and over 100 units owner or managed over that time, I still see value in and pay for pricing software.  I hope that helps

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 20:18

Hey @Sean Ruggiero. I seriously doubt he has any secret sauce to STRs. I haven't looked at all nor have I watched his free videos.

I think it is a waste of money. Everything you really need to know is right here on this forum. You just have to search and ask. Search first. :)

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Dec 8 2022, 20:58

I wrote this after a closed session with Airbnb at VRMA in Vegas. And it’s free…could be helpful 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Dec 8 2022, 23:20
Quote from @Sean Ruggiero:

Hi everyone!

I've done lots of research on pricing strategy, this guy has killer free content on youtube. He claims propriety information to a masterclass for $525 which basically lays out 8 Airbnb Rule Sets to maximize revenue (which he has used himself to grow into a multimillion dollar business)

Same-old, same-old, right? I don't use FaceBook right now and am not part of the free FaceBook group. When I search google it doesn't pull up a whole lot, just some generic info and sometimes off-topic stuff.

My question, what do you guys think about these rule sets and pricing strategies, have any of you actually had a relationship with Sean Rakidzich etc? Would love to dive deep on pricing strategy for STR's. If anyone has any valuable info, please and thank you!

If it gets you started and off of your duff, it's worth a lot more than $525. He has made over $10,000,000 using STRs. If anybody here on Bigger Pockets has made $10,000,000 on STRs, please speak up.

If you do things the way he does things in the markets he does them, you will do well. He is oriented toward Studios and 1 bedrooms in dense cities using IKEA furniture & lease agreements with landlords. 

I am watching him because he has some great insights and his failures will keep me from making those same mistakes.

I'm doing my first STR in North Phoenix (Near Scottsdale) in a $725,000 5 bed 3 bath full house with pool that I bought and I'm using high end design, so my experience will be totally different than his. But, he has the right information on the tools to use, the expectations, tips & tricks, how to deal with AirBNB & VRBO and dealing with guests, is focused on the experience of the guest, on great ratings and he understands the process. What's not to like?

I have not bought his class/group because there is so much to learn and do first from his free content, that keeps me very busy trying to get up to his basic level.

Another good source is Robuilt but Sean Rakidzich is several steps ahead.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Dec 9 2022, 05:42

I agree that this information can likely be found for free. Does he have a used course being sold on ebay?

I do like to go to a couple of RE courses every year and usually don't learn alot of ground breaking stuff at this point, but sometimes you get a nugget or 2 that makes it worth while.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Dec 9 2022, 16:38

Hi everyone!

I don’t know the person, but I would think you could afford to gamble $525. You said you had a bunch of free stuff from him so…. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Dec 9 2022, 19:05

I have learned a lot from watching his free content.  My thought is: if I could get a single extra day booked because of his strategies, it would pay for that course.  And it is tax deductible.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Ruggiero
Votes |
Replied Dec 10 2022, 10:48
Quote from @Wilson Vanhook:

Likely not worth it. From what I can tell he’s in the business of content creation not actually running an Airbnb business. Look up his Airbnb profile and just take a look at his listings. Occupancy is low, tons of bad ratings, listings not very impressive. Do your research on it you’ll see for yourself.

I’ve tried to find optimal PriceLabs settings but haven’t found any public info for a great strategy yet.

Thanks Wilson. I'm a subscriber to PriceLabs as well but I see while it does help its really only as good as the guy/girl setting up the details. I'm also working on simultaneously running Wheelhouse which has made great leaps recently, and AirDNA. It's cheap and interesting to see how they price and opinion differently. 

Interested to see how you looked at his listings, my understanding is that he has multiple accounts under entity names etc. Are you referencing his first/original account, or do you have some secrets into this?

User Stats

Votes
Sean Ruggiero
Votes |
Replied Dec 10 2022, 10:58
Quote from @Mike Hern:

Hi everyone!

If it gets you started and off of your duff, it's worth a lot more than $525. He has made over $10,000,000 using STRs. If anybody here on Bigger Pockets has made $10,000,000 on STRs, please speak up.

If you do things the way he does things in the markets he does them, you will do well. He is oriented toward Studios and 1 bedrooms in dense cities using IKEA furniture & lease agreements with landlords. 

I am watching him because he has some great insights and his failures will keep me from making those same mistakes.

I'm doing my first STR in North Phoenix (Near Scottsdale) in a $725,000 5 bed 3 bath full house with pool that I bought and I'm using high end design, so my experience will be totally different than his. But, he has the right information on the tools to use, the expectations, tips & tricks, how to deal with AirBNB & VRBO and dealing with guests, is focused on the experience of the guest, on great ratings and he understands the process. What's not to like?

I have not bought his class/group because there is so much to learn and do first from his free content, that keeps me very busy trying to get up to his basic level.

Another good source is Robuilt but Sean Rakidzich is several steps ahead.

I like this answer. Yes I basically tapped out all the free content, I learned a lot of great stuff but I also saw he intentionally guards his rule sets. He explains enough that its compelling, creating flexible pricing strategy to drive your calendar to maximum revenue and occupancy BOTH at the same time (which some say is impossible, but it is possible) 

I know of Rob too but yes compared to Sean he is a beginner. Still good but, nowhere near that level right now.

User Stats

Votes
John D.
Pro Member
  • La Quinta, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • La Quinta, CA
Replied Dec 14 2022, 21:45

@Mike Hern I've done just over $10mil.  Looks like my recent traction is better Sean's based on his Airbnb profile.  Nothing I do is rocket science.  I started seriously in Real Estate 10 years ago by listening to every single BP (and other related) podcast in existence.  I also read _everything_.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Dec 14 2022, 22:18
Quote from @John D.:

@Mike Hern I've done just over $10mil.  Looks like my recent traction is better Sean's based on his Airbnb profile.  Nothing I do is rocket science.  I started seriously in Real Estate 10 years ago by listening to every single BP (and other related) podcast in existence.  I also read _everything_.

@John D. Over $10,000,000 doing STR! Congratulations, for sure.
Very cool! Start contributing so we plebes can catch the waves too.

Are you in the Studio/1 bedroom market or are you in the full house market?
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John D.
Pro Member
  • La Quinta, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • La Quinta, CA
Replied Dec 14 2022, 22:21

My specialty has been big pool homes. 6-11 bedroom. But in many regards that niche has sailed. I'm now planning on growing via small hotel/motel projects and overlooked non-hospitality commercial. I've never paid for a class, and the STR conferences and talks I've gone to, you have to listen a long time to glean a few small nuggets. I'd venture to say that the percentage of valuble info, after you've ingested most of the content out there, is no higher with paid content then with the free content you will curate for yourself. If you listen to and read everything free, there's limited value to anything paid, the value quotient is similar. With that said, the cost is often negligible as well in the long run I suppose if you are talking about a $500 class or $1,000 conference. There may be more value in the networking, and mutual support and peer attaboys, not my thing but definitely has shown to help a lot of people.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 20 2024, 12:25

Hi everyone!

Jumping in late here, but I just wanted to share my strategy. I developed this strategy  over 10 years ago just after I worked at Airbnb and it still works today. 95% occupancy. I think of it as a simple 2-step strategy. First, is working with base price and minimum. Second, is customizations which are to only be applied to counteract booking trends (like no last-minute reservations).

Here it is:

1) Find your Booking Lead Time (BLT)

2) Create your occupancy targets based on #1. If your BLT is 30 days, you want to have an occupancy of roughly 50%, 30 days into the future.

3) Adjust your base price, based on your occupancy, once weekly. For example, if you occupancy at your BLT is only 30%, then lower your base price by 10%. On the other hand, if your occupancy at BLT is 70%, raise your base price by the same amount.

4) Add in customizations when it makes sense. You should not have more than a few customizations.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:18

Thanks Wilson. I'm a subscriber to PriceLabs as well but I see while it does help its really only as good as the guy/girl setting up the details. I'm also working on simultaneously running Wheelhouse 

Sean, what's your long term assessment of PLabs vs. Wheelhouse?
----is it worth it to run both simultaneously?
---Which did you ultimately choose?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Mar 28 2024, 05:32
Quote from @Brent A Schmierbach:

Thanks Wilson. I'm a subscriber to PriceLabs as well but I see while it does help its really only as good as the guy/girl setting up the details. I'm also working on simultaneously running Wheelhouse 

Sean, what's your long term assessment of PLabs vs. Wheelhouse?
----is it worth it to run both simultaneously?
---Which did you ultimately choose?

Vrbo just came out with free integrated dynamic pricing. I've been using it for about a week so far and I am liking what I see.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:13

I saw that too @John Underwood. I dismissed it as I did the built in AirBNB dynamic pricing.

We should start another thread on this to discuss.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:20
Quote from @Michael Baum:

I saw that too @John Underwood. I dismissed it as I did the built in AirBNB dynamic pricing.

Where do you turn on dynamic pricing on Airbnb? I've not seen that.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:29
Quote from @John Underwood:

Well, maybe I mean the AirBNB suggested auto pricing tool?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Mar 28 2024, 11:29
Quote from @John Underwood:

Well, maybe I mean the AirBNB suggested auto pricing tool?
Yeah that thing is way off!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Lapointe
  • Auburn, ME
Votes |
  • Auburn, ME
Replied Apr 10 2024, 12:55

Anyone here who has actually purchased this and/or knows what the rule set settings are?