• Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Past due debt for rent an damages

Victoria E.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Apr 27 2024, 22:15

I have a tenant who has moved out and  i now have a judgement against.  Any recommendations for lawyer or a reasonably priced debt collector to assist in collecting the debt ?

Any success stories with collecting by garnishing wages? or general success in collecting? what strategy did you use?

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Apr 27 2024, 22:17
Quote from @Victoria E.:

I have a tenant who has moved out and  i now have a judgement against.  Any recommendations for lawyer or a reasonably priced debt collector to assist in collecting the debt ?

Any success stories with collecting by garnishing wages? or general success in collecting? what strategy did you use?

Unless it's a tremendous amount of money, it will probably be more trouble and cost to collect than you're willing to get into. However, I applaud you for getting a judgement as that helps everyone going forward. There are collection agencies that will buy your judgement for some portion of a dollar, depending on how much it is and how likely they think they can collect. If you have a $5k judgement, and you can get a guaranteed grand or two from an agency, that's not a bad deal *and* you have the satisfaction of knowing they will hound this person from here to eternity. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 28 2024, 06:13
Quote from @Victoria E.:

You already have the judgment, proving the tenant owes you money. Turn it over to collections and forget about it. There is a very good chance you will never see a dime of it, but at least it will sit on their credit report and prevent them from scamming someone else or getting a loan.

I'm not allowed to share who I use in the public forum, but you can contact me privately.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Grabka
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Leominster, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Leominster, MA
Replied Apr 28 2024, 11:07

@Victoria E.

1. Hire an attorney

2. New York has outstanding judgment collection laws that allow for levies on accounts and pay

Daniels, Norelli, Scully & Cecere are excellent

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Apr 29 2024, 13:37

Take a look at collection agencies like Phoenix Recovery and others. There are loads out there. Funny enough, the chances of getting repaid are pretty slim. Folks tend to step up and settle when they're ready to buy something needing good credit. Good luck & happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Victoria E.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied May 5 2024, 02:52

Thank you everyone for the feedback

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied May 5 2024, 19:33

If you know where they work file for a wage garnishment. Every time they get paid they'll think about you.