General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Michael Vong
Votes |
Remove existing natural gas grill?

Michael Vong
Posted Apr 12 2024, 08:17

I’m looking at a property for LTR.  It has a natural gas grill and I was able to pull the permit that the work done was approved by the city.  But having a natural gas grill would be a big liability right?  Would you pay to have the plumbing capped off at the source or leave it for the tenant to use?

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 12 2024, 09:58

Oh God, a gas grill and you still purchased the unit!! What were you thinking??? 😱😱😱

Now we can move past the hysteria. Gas is safe. 38% of people in the US use gas stoves. 60% of people in California use gas stoves. Do you routinely hear horror stories about them exploding or killing people? Of course not. A properly maintained gas stove is not a liability. The idiot cooking on it may be. That idiot can cause damage on anything. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Vong
Votes |
Replied Apr 12 2024, 10:20
Quote from @Greg M.:

Oh God, a gas grill and you still purchased the unit!! What were you thinking??? 😱😱😱

Now we can move past the hysteria. Gas is safe. 38% of people in the US use gas stoves. 60% of people in California use gas stoves. Do you routinely hear horror stories about them exploding or killing people? Of course not. A properly maintained gas stove is not a liability. The idiot cooking on it may be. That idiot can cause damage on anything. 

That’s the problem.  Lots of idiots out there and want to reduce the risks to the structure close to where the gas grill is.  Also would have to maintain the grill.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 12 2024, 12:59

It was installed with a permit. That alone is a great rarity in this state. It's set-up in a safe manner. 

I view an outdoor gas grill as a selling point to potential tenants. I suspect the majority of tenants in Riverside, CA also view it that way. You can choose to view it as a liability if you like. I believe amenities and nicer fixtures brings in a nicer class of tenants and helps the units rent faster. AKA, makes me more money. 

As for liability, that is what multi-million dollar umbrella policies are for.