Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Craig Jones
Votes |
Private investors for equity co-investment

Craig Jones
Posted Apr 10 2024, 14:25

I've got a $3.3M SFH, currently a STR that does very well. However, I've got *a lot* of equity tied up in it that I'd like to deploy elsewhere. $1.5M mortgage, 30-year-fixed at 2.5% so I really do not want to sell or refi.

I've looked at equity co-investment outfits like Point and Hometap, but the deal terms seem atrocious.  Hometap claims "no interest" but if you look at cash now vs. percent equity they'd take in a future sale, the implied interest rate is something like 25%.

Are there private investors out there who are interested in doing similar deals with better terms?  Also open to hearing other ideas for this situation.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 10 2024, 17:31

@Craig Jones

Most private lenders will want 10%+ return so you mix the loans and you mine as well refinance it at today’s rates.

Could be a lender out there willing to go in lower.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 10 2024, 17:44

Hi Craig,

Have you considered putting a second position mortgage on it? That way you could get a loan on it while keeping the first. Rates will be higher than refinancing, but if you insist on keeping the first, this is a good strategy.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Jake Andronico#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Apr 11 2024, 10:51

@Craig Jones

That's a great problem to have :) 

Have you considered venturing into multifamily in Northern Nevada? We've seen some of the best deals we've seen in years with mid-size multifamily because so many are staying on the sidelines. 

It may not make sense for you, but wanted to throw it out there. 

Best of luck to you.