Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Alex Clark
Votes |
is it possible to put 70k down on a house in a cashflow or appreciation market?

Alex Clark
Posted Apr 27 2024, 20:18

What market can I see any return with 70k down I look in a lot of places and hardly see any deals where would you guys recommend to invest with that amount down? Looking to get my first rental

User Stats

Votes
Teri Feeney Styers
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Apr 27 2024, 20:40

If you are borrowing the balance and you are an investor buyer then that amount of cash will get you into a $300-$350k property @8% interest.  What does that buy in your area and what would it rent for? What's your net after all expenses and some cap ex savings? Do you come out ahead at all? Can you buy a cheaper property and set aside $20k for upgrades and to force equity? $70k is a lot of money but you are correct  - in these times you gotta be more strategic if you want any cashflow at all. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#2 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:06

You forgot to put your location in your profile. There are a TON of tiny/small towns in MN where $70k will buy you a house outright that will definitely cash flow. Probably most of a duplex with a tiny loan. But if you don’t live in the Midwest, it isn’t for you. You’ll lose your shirt  

Don’t forget your alternative. You can put that money in the bank and earn $300/mo guaranteed. In today’s market, buying for cash flow is a fool’s errand.  If you aren’t appreciating, you’re losing money. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Apr 28 2024, 09:05
In real estate, you need to be thinking long term. I recommend you look to small multifamily near you for your first rental. Multifamily generally doesn't have the same retail pressure, so right now, the deals are better, though you still need to spend a lot of time finding the right one.