• Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago
Votes |
Investing in Dayton OH

Tanisha Blakemore
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago
Posted Mar 27 2024, 06:31

RE agent, I currently reside in IL and interested in potentially investing in the Columbus or Dayton areas. Can anyone provide any insights, best areas to invest and PM.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Goldsmith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 27 2024, 13:56

Whats your goals with investing? They are going to be two very different markets. Dayton is going to more cashflow heavy with less appreciation if any and Columbus will be the opposite @Tanisha Blakemore

User Stats

Votes
Austin McClain
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Replied Mar 28 2024, 06:34

I've seen investors succeed in both. Dayton has more cash flow - and Columbus has a higher predicted appreciation rate 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 28 2024, 07:56
Quote from @Tanisha Blakemore:

RE agent, I currently reside in IL and interested in potentially investing in the Columbus or Dayton areas. Can anyone provide any insights, best areas to invest and PM.

What are you looking for? Both cities have great areas to invest in. Are you looking for more cash flow or more appreciation?

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 28 2024, 08:06

Columbus is a great choice if you're planning on holding for the long term. 

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Min Zhang#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 28 2024, 08:21

Hey Tanisha, welcome to BP! I like starting in the Midwest because it's affordable and offers good cash flow. Following David Green's Core 4 strategy (realtor, contractor, property manager, and lender) gives confidence to invest anywhere. I focus on Columbus, Ohio, which has seen significant growth, especially with tech giants like Intel, Meta, Amazon, and Google setting up operations, driving up property prices and job opportunities. I also invest in Cleveland and Dayton. Let me know if you need assistance!

User Stats

Votes
Tanisha Blakemore
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago
Replied Mar 28 2024, 08:37

Thanks everyone so much for your insight! I'll be visiting Dayton next month...Are there particular areas that are best for investing? I would like to ride around and get more familiar with those neighborhoods.

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 28 2024, 10:24

Hey Tanisha, I own properties in both Columbus and Dayton. There are certain pockets that you want to invest in. Happy to share a neighborhood graded that I created with a few other agents.

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Mar 28 2024, 11:18

It really comes down to what you're aiming for. If you're aiming to get more cashflow, Dayton would be a good choice. On the other hand, if your focus is on appreciation, Columbus is the place to go. The good news is that Columbus has seen significant improvement across the board. With distinct A, B, and C areas, there aren't any truly bad neighborhoods for investment. In fact, you could almost pick any spot on a Columbus map and find a promising location. 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Mar 29 2024, 07:25

Dayton for cash flow, Columbus for appreciation. @Remington Lyman is a good person to speak to about Columbus

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Mar 29 2024, 08:32
Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

Dayton for cash flow, Columbus for appreciation. @Remington Lyman is a good person to speak to about Columbus

Thanks Brittany! I may need a good lender also :-)

No problem, I'm here if ya need me! Feel free to reach out any time :) 

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Mar 29 2024, 11:46

Is Xenia a good market or is it too far away from Dayton?

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Mar 29 2024, 11:50
Quote from @Ken M.:

Can't say for sure as I'm not familiar with Xenia - I've worked with multiple people that ended up buying in Dayton and it seems to be a similar market to some areas of Canton, which is where I personally invest. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 7 2024, 13:53
Quote from @Ken M.:

I know someone that is a renter in xenia, but i dont think thats a good neighborhood. Hes just there because its cheap

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Apr 7 2024, 16:07
Quote from @Damian Soriano:
Quote from @Ken M.:

I know someone that is a renter in xenia, but i dont think thats a good neighborhood. Hes just there because its cheap

Thanks. I got a lead for Xenia and am unfamiliar with the town.

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Chow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 12 2024, 13:33

Hey Tanisha! Columbus and Dayton are both great areas for investment, with plenty of opportunities for growth. I'd be happy to chat more and provide some insights on the best areas to invest. Let's connect!

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 13 2024, 03:52

Columbus is a great market for appreciation and some cashflow, with all the major investments by large companies happening here. Dayton is great for cashflow and more affordable than Columbus. It's in a great location, with a new Honda plant being built nearby and being only an hour from Columbus and Cincinnati.