Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
A.j. Silva
Votes |
How am I (buyer) protected when purchasing land through seller financing?

A.j. Silva
Posted Apr 28 2024, 08:27

I'm looking to purchase 1.9 acres in the greater Phoenix area. Seller-financing is the only option for me as my income is through my LLC which isn't older than two years. The seller is asking for $40,000 down which I am able to pay in cash. The total price the seller is asking is $195,000.

However, I've read that lands contracts can exist where I'm not given the deed to the home until the loan amount is paid in full ($155,000.) Is there a way to protect myself and recoup any of my equity  (downpayment and any construction I plan to do) if the property by chance forecloses? Even if I am deeded the title at closing, am I able to recoup any equity in cases of foreclosure? 

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Medellín, Colombia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Medellín, Colombia
Replied Apr 28 2024, 10:54

Hey @A.j. Silva, why do a land contract?

If I'm putting $40K down on a land deal, I'm getting the deed!

Also, if the property were to foreclose, it would be because you defaulted on your note! You presumably wouldn't allow that happen if you still had equity in the deal.

But, if you did lose the property to foreclosure, it would be auctioned off. Any "equity" held in the property would first go toward paying off your note balance (as you would expect).

User Stats

Votes
A.j. Silva
Votes |
Replied Apr 28 2024, 12:54

@Mitch Messer Thank you–this is very helpful. This is my first real estate purchase and I'm learning what to fight for in this type of deal. That being said–I'll be sure to only move forward if I get the deed.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 28 2024, 13:48

@A.j. Silva

As mentioned refuse to do a land contract, do it as a traditional note and deed of trust

If you do a land contract then you would want to make sure the land contract gets recorded in the county to show your equitable interest

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Gardner
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Apr 28 2024, 15:10

Reiterating what everyone is saying. Read their contract, if it doesn't accomplish what you want, get your own contract. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2024, 16:14

Are you folks talking about a Ground Lease which gives you long term use and control of the land,etc. but it’s never yours unless you contract to buy it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2024, 19:01

https://www.nar.realtor/ground-leases

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Apr 29 2024, 15:23

is there already a home on the property ? 

User Stats

Votes
A.j. Silva
Votes |
Replied Apr 30 2024, 08:47
Quote from @Jacob Sherman:

is there already a home on the property ? 

No. Just utilities.