• Arlington, VA
Votes |
Miami Dade county convert duplex to fourplex

Alejandro C.
Pro Member
  • Arlington, VA
Posted Apr 7 2024, 20:46

Good evening, 

I have a SFR in Miami dade county and this is the zoning info from the county website:

Land UseMuni ZonePA Zone

GENERALRU-2 5700 - DUPLEXES - GENERAL

From the county website I was redirected to: 

https://library.municode.com/fl/miami_-_dade_county/codes/co...

and I think the construction of a new unit in the back (There should be enough space)  can potentially be approved based on the exception (3)

• ARTICLE XV. - RU-2, TWO-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT[19]SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS
    Footnotes: --- (19) ---

Cross reference— Height of fences, walls and hedges in RU Districts, § 33-11; location of swimming pools in RU-2 Districts, § 33-20(c); maximum setback for principal residential buildings in RU-2 Districts, § 33-45.

• Sec. 33-201. - Uses permitted.SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS

No land, body of water and/or structure shall be used or permitted to be used and no structure shall be hereafter erected, constructed, moved, reconstructed or structurally altered for any purpose in an RU-2 District which is designed, arranged, or intended to be used or occupied for any purpose, unless otherwise provided for, excepting for one or more of the following uses:

(1)

Every use permitted in RU-1, RU-1M(a) and RU-1M(b) Districts.

(1.1)

Workforce housing units in compliance with the provisions of Article XIIA of this Code.

(2)

On lots meeting the requirements for two-family use, every use as a duplex or two-family residence, including two private garages.

(a)

Where a single building is erected for separate families, the building shall have the appearance of a single-family dwelling house.

(b)

Where two separate buildings are erected to house separate families on a single lot, one shall be placed to the rear of the other and not side by side within the minimum lot width required herein.

(3)

Every use as a secondary or subordinate single-family residence or one-family garage apartment on the rear portion of a lot where there is only one (1) single-family residence on the front portion of said lot.

I am going to call the county anyways but I would love to hear BP’s members feedback.. Thank you for your time.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Apr 8 2024, 02:32

Looks like 2 units total is the cap. I didn’t read your links.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rixer#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Robert Rixer#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 8 2024, 09:41

Nothing here seems to indicate a fourplex is possible without rezoning. Usually the village is concerned with density.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Branden Rivero
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Apr 26 2024, 12:44

You would have to go in for a variance, and in the city of Miami that is lengthy and pricey. I would rather just add an ADU instead of going through the variance process to change the zoning

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 1 2024, 20:41
Quote from @Alejandro C.:

Good evening, 

I have a SFR in Miami dade county and this is the zoning info from the county website:

Land UseMuni ZonePA Zone

GENERALRU-2 5700 - DUPLEXES - GENERAL

From the county website I was redirected to: 

https://library.municode.com/fl/miami_-_dade_county/codes/co...

and I think the construction of a new unit in the back (There should be enough space)  can potentially be approved based on the exception (3)

• ARTICLE XV. - RU-2, TWO-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT[19]SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS
    Footnotes: --- (19) ---

Cross reference— Height of fences, walls and hedges in RU Districts, § 33-11; location of swimming pools in RU-2 Districts, § 33-20(c); maximum setback for principal residential buildings in RU-2 Districts, § 33-45.

• Sec. 33-201. - Uses permitted.SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS

No land, body of water and/or structure shall be used or permitted to be used and no structure shall be hereafter erected, constructed, moved, reconstructed or structurally altered for any purpose in an RU-2 District which is designed, arranged, or intended to be used or occupied for any purpose, unless otherwise provided for, excepting for one or more of the following uses:

(1)

Every use permitted in RU-1, RU-1M(a) and RU-1M(b) Districts.

(1.1)

Workforce housing units in compliance with the provisions of Article XIIA of this Code.

(2)

On lots meeting the requirements for two-family use, every use as a duplex or two-family residence, including two private garages.

(a)

Where a single building is erected for separate families, the building shall have the appearance of a single-family dwelling house.

(b)

Where two separate buildings are erected to house separate families on a single lot, one shall be placed to the rear of the other and not side by side within the minimum lot width required herein.

(3)

Every use as a secondary or subordinate single-family residence or one-family garage apartment on the rear portion of a lot where there is only one (1) single-family residence on the front portion of said lot.

I am going to call the county anyways but I would love to hear BP’s members feedback.. Thank you for your time.

yah you are limited, you might be able to get a variance or rezoning or ADU above a detached garage lots of ways to build it.