Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Chris Harkins
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
What are your Top 5 Complaints/ Hang-ups with Contractors?

Chris Harkins
  • Memphis, TN
Posted Feb 15 2015, 11:01

1. Out of curiosity, what do you find are your top 5 problems that seem to come up with contractors that you've used? 

2. What do you think this problem has cost on projects you've been involved with?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Woelfel
  • Real Estate Investor
  • fort lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • fort lauderdale, FL
Replied Feb 15 2015, 11:06

1. Unreliability
2. Cost changes
3. Project never completed on time
4. Bait and switch after permits pulled
5. Workmanship

User Stats

Votes
Chris Harkins
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Feb 15 2015, 11:15

Thanks @Jonathan!  Do you have a specific example from the bait and switch after a pulled permit? Wasn't it something completely unseen or just blatant misrepresentation?

How did/ have you handled some of those situations? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Woelfel
  • Real Estate Investor
  • fort lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • fort lauderdale, FL
Replied Feb 15 2015, 11:20

The bait and switch is when a gc will give you an estimate to do the work on a project. Then they will pull permits (which can cost thousands and take months in some cities where im from). Then construction materials cost or labor costs go up when permits are recieved, or anything you add to a project (change order) is 5 times the cost it would have been prior to permits. They do this because they know you dont want to cancel permits or even change the gc because it takes time and money, so you eat the extra few grand it costs you because you got haggled. Its common down here in south florida.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Harkins
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Feb 15 2015, 16:39

Brutal.. Sorry to hear about that. Have you tried writing up and addendum prior that specifies how remaining work will be priced? Or even a guarantee along the lines of having them match a major competitors bid for work after the fact to prevent them from gouging you? 

User Stats

Votes
Raymond B.
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied Feb 17 2015, 15:40

@Chris Harkins,

To Make the @ work do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

Raymond

User Stats

Votes
Chris Harkins
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Feb 17 2015, 16:19

@Raymond B. 

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Feb 17 2015, 17:51

Top 5 issues with contractors:

1. Quality of work

2. Timeliness (showing up late to appointments)

3. Smoking and leaving cigarette butts on the property

4. Not cleaning up the job site in general

5. Communication

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Romine
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Replied Feb 17 2015, 19:21

Bitching after price has been negotiated.

Frank

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Feb 17 2015, 19:38

"Sure we can take care of that, too."  Then an extra $500 is on the final invoice.  Lovin' the lack of info, GC!

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Lee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Replied Feb 17 2015, 20:16

1. Two timing you. (I feel like a mistress)

At demo and initial 2 wks. Very tentative. We are courting, showered with attention.... And then after you are in a relationship......hard to find....at end of project, make-up mode to get my last deposit and reassurance that he gets my next job!

2. Bait and switch after permit. (As explained above)

3. A LA carte issues (oh that wasn't on original quote)

But having worked with him for 2 yrs we UNDERSTAND each other. He knows I have work for him as long as he behaves. And he has straighten up his act. If he is gonna cheat on me he tells me. I say as long as my deadline is met you can go to your other mistresses hahaha

And his workmanship is great, why I put up with his antics, and he is reliable and actually follow through. He is part of my team now.

But I still get other vendor to bid. And I visit unannounced lol keeps him on his toes.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Fox
  • Real Estate Developer
  • Ithaca, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Developer
  • Ithaca, NY
Replied Feb 17 2015, 20:22

One piece of advice I can give is NEVER pay anything upfront or give an advance. Never get "behind" the contractor because it's hard to catch back up. Money is your only leverage so use it carefully.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Fox
  • Real Estate Developer
  • Ithaca, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Developer
  • Ithaca, NY
Replied Feb 17 2015, 20:34

One piece of advice I can give is NEVER pay anything upfront or give an advance. Never get "behind" the contractor because it's hard to catch back up. Money is your only leverage so use it carefully.

Also, always have a detailed contract. Add provisions and deadlines so that if the contractor doesn't hit, there is a financial penalty. I would also only pay on projects completed. Have the contract break down the price for each task, drywall, paint, flooring, etc. You only pay on work completed.

Also, if you need to change something, get it in writing and use a change work order. The more organized you are, the more the contractor will respect you.

Change work order

User Stats

Votes
Manolo D.#3 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 18 2015, 00:26

I believe in the general problem posts that GC sticks you up after the permit is pulled, and other complaints, that is because the contract didn't specify it. I am fair but I charge extra 25% extra than what I am suppose to charge, and I do cost-plus method in case of change orders, no disputes on that so far, the 25% extra keeps them owners from changing too much the scope, because they know it will hurt them. Sometimes you got to love time and material based change orders, win for both parties. We do have subs, but I hit them with penalty clause so high that will make their head spin if they don't hit the timeline, I only do this if the contract pays premium and I pay penalties too. You get what you pay for. Structure your contract well, if they violate, go for their contractor's bond, be sure to keep all paperworks, you need it. Be careful not to be too one sided, you might scare good one's away, they are usually to walk first, because they know how to respect a contract and they actually know what it is they are getting into.

@Todd Fox  Food for thought, the contractor has the choice of walking away. So goes for the next contractor or the next or the next.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Lafferty
  • Investor
  • Woodstown, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Woodstown, NJ
Replied Feb 18 2015, 03:56

1. Showing up after project has begun

2. Timeliness

3. Quality of work

In my experience some contractors may also run into money issues and need to leave your job prior to completion to start another job and secure another up front payment. This can go on and on until they are spread too thin. Like @Todd Fox says, NEVER pay upfront. Depending on job size build a pay structure into the SOW. For example the project can be broken down into phases with each phase paying xx% of total price.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hovermale
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Feb 19 2015, 06:27

I make a living as a trade contractor; and if it weren't for the complaints and bad experiences that people have about other contractors, it would be a lot more challenging to secure long term relationships within which our company can provide reliable and profitable services.

That said, as an investor, instead of asking, "What are your biggest complaints?", I would flip the question and ask, "What are the top three things you look for in a contractor?".  So... I guess I'll start that thread in the forum.

Remember, there are two sides in every relationship.  We look for long term trade partners that can count on us and upon whom we can depend.  The use of leverage is the last resort, and indicates a break down in goodwill and function in the relationship.  Treat contractors with respect and honor your commitments.  If your contractor needs money down to start a project, then they haven't been in business long enough to establish working capital.  If they DON'T need money to start a project, then I'd be willing to give them money up front.  (It's like when an investor goes to the bank: The more you NEED money, the less they will give you because they assume more risk).  If the contractor doesn't have a track record in your market, then trust them with small stuff.  As you grow, they grow.  Don't drop them for the cheaper contractor after they've proven themselves (It's likely that the cheaper guy isn't running the business well and is just chasing cashflow,  short term win for you, but you'll probably end up with more complaints to add to this list).  Appreciate that there is a cost to running a business that can provide solid service in a timely manner... speed of transaction in a flip or renovation saves you money, and everyone wins.  Now I'm rambling...  I love this topic.