Contractor bid form

Contractor bid form

Real Estate Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 8 votes

I'm in the process of starting my second Flip and I was wondering if anyone has a general form they use for bids on the remodeling. One of the things I've learned from my first Flip and my first wholesale is contractors can be a bit all over on their bids.

I'd like to use a general form that I can present to all contractors during the biding process that way when all bids are in I can compare apples to apples and find out who is actually giving me a deal. If you have any advice on making one or willing to share yours, please let me know.

Thanks

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Dublin, CA · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 20 votes
18y

Hi All,

I am happy to provide you with a contractor's bid form. The one I'm attaching is by construction division and quite comprehensive.

I wish to warn any person who uses this form that the intention here is knowledge and communication. I do NOT recommend going with the lowest bidder. The lowest bidder doesn't have the insurance or cash reserves to fix problems or generate solutions WHEN (not "if") problems in construction arise.

Here it is:

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    18y

    Most forms used for "bids" have the same, relatively generic jibberjabber, with key legal phrases and words that ARE important to you. You can purchase some at your local office supply store. However, the bulk of the proposal deals with the specifics of your project...YOU need to specify the materials, methods, and specific, detailed, scope of work. Typically the format is an RFP.....Request For Proposal. You can easily search the web for documents to model off of, depending on the complexity of your project. Larger projects will have architectural drawings etc. You need to specify time constraints, use of subs, warranties, disposition of punch lists, timing of payments, and a variety of other details, depending on the scale of the project.

  • Real Estate Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    18y

    Beachbum,

    Thanks for your response on this topic, but I've tried searching for this prior to this post and got nothing. The only thing I get is the usual jibberjabber that I have to buy $400 of crap that I'll never touch just to see a template of the RPF they use.

    I know the actual details of the project need certain job descriptions to fit the needs of each project, but all I want is something I can use as my base and make the proper mods when future projects arrive. Like I said in my previous post, all I want is something to use so I can quickly weed out the bad quotes from the good ones (and I don't just mean $$).

    I'm yet to try my local office supply store and I'll have to do that today, but in the meantime, if you have any recomended sites to visit please let me know

    Thanks!!

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    18y

    Hello,

    I have bought/sold/redeveloped about 90 projects (ie. 1 project may be a 43 unit condo, etc) so I have a lot of experience with this. Secondly, I have started my own contracting company and now own an Architect/engineering firm as well as a mortgage company. So I know what you're going through.

    I can email you some forms that I have created/customized over the years. I'm not selling you anything - it doesn't cost me to send you an Excel spreadsheet.

    Regards,

    Rich

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Rich - can you possibly attach the spreadsheet to a post here so others can have the opportunity to use it?

    Thanks

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    18y

    Hi All,

    I am happy to provide you with a contractor's bid form. The one I'm attaching is by construction division and quite comprehensive.

    I wish to warn any person who uses this form that the intention here is knowledge and communication. I do NOT recommend going with the lowest bidder. The lowest bidder doesn't have the insurance or cash reserves to fix problems or generate solutions WHEN (not "if") problems in construction arise.

    Here it is:

  • Real Estate Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    18y

    Richman,

    Thanks for your reply regarding my post. This will work perfectly with what I'm trying to accomplish with the various contractors bidding on my job. I'll have to simplify it a bit for what I need to use it for, but this is GREAT. Also, one last thing, do you send this out via email or do you print this out and then give it to them?

  • Attorney · Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 99 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    I don't want to speak for Richman, so I look forward to his response, but my take on this is that this file looks like his budget worksheet as the general contractor. What you do with this that as you get the bids back from the subcontractors you fill in the bids so you get an overall view of the entire jobs costs. You don't give this to the subcontractors. It's either that or he uses this as a worksheet for his estimates. Every contractor has their own style so I hate to guess how he does things.

    Maybe I misunderstood your original question but I took it to mean you were looking for something like specs so that every contractor is bidding the exact same scope of work. To me this worksheet does not accomplish that. Specs are always job specific unless you are a production home builder. Thats why it is so difficult to answer your question. I will work on something to give you a better idea of what I am talking about but for now I will share with you my worksheet I use when comparing subcontractor bids.

  • Attorney · Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 99 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Richman-
    How does that 10% contingency work out for you? Sounds a little high to me but maybe you have a lower OH&P to make it work. Always looking for advice for improvement from a vetern such as yourself.

  • Attorney · Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 99 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    OK here is an example of some plumbing specs. I would attach these to my contract that I have my subcontractors sign and also attach their proposal but my contract and specs take precidence.

    If you are hiring a general contractor to do the job then he should specify all details of the job in his contract (if they aren't already stated in the construction documents such as the drawings) with you similar to this. If you don't get these things in writing you may end up with many surprise C.O.s.

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    18y

    Hi guys,

    I'm glad to provide the form. It is definately comprehensive and yes, I encourage our estimators to use it. There are many other forms out there but this one is for professional communication. Everybody has their own style and mine has adapted over the years as I've been involved with more and more projects.

    The main thing here is communication and an investor should be able to communicate on the contractor's level, which is why I provided a "contractor" form. I have many others and you are welcome to contact me directly to discuss your needs.

    I am available Sunday through Friday (never on Saturday for religious reasons).

    Regards,

    Rich

  • Architect · CAMDEN, NJ · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    Hey Rich

    I was hoping you could send me the spread sheet that you posted awhile back. Thank you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bondurant, IA · Member since 2008 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Hi Rich

    If it is not to much trouble I would also like to get a copy of this form.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I'm checking with Jessa from BP because Brandon had an article that was just posted on Contractors and said he's got a good Contractor form on BP, but the place he notated wasn't live. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

  • New to Real Estate · Albany/Troy · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Does anyone know where I can find this contractor bid form? 

    Thank you. 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi guys. I am also very interested to work with this kind of form. It would help a bunch.

    Thanks in advance.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    I had to go through the show notes of a podcast where Brandon mentioned it in May but this looks like one.

    contractor form

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I can't access the contractor form. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    5y

    Just my suggestion after bidding over 4500 jobs and doing all but 48 of them.

    Have a written list of items you want done.

    Listen to your contractor(s) as they will add things to the list.

    Then have the contractors bid apples to apples !

    @ example 480 feet of base installed.  Most investors control and buy the product so the base bid will be only for  Labor.

    Most labor bids on this will be between $300-$900.

    Make sure there is a time frame with penalties if not completed in that time frame.

    @ most contractors can do $500 of work per day. so $5500 is 11 days.

    Business days M-F.  that way the contractor can work on Sat or Sunday to catch up.

    Any questions you have let me know.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.