Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
FHA Mortgage with a Partner

Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jul 11 2012, 07:59

Hey everyone,

I am very new to real estate investing, and in fact haven't yet graduated from college. However, upon graduation I hope to acquire a duplex using an FHA mortgage and rent out the other unit. My question: is it possible to obtain an FHA mortgage with a friend, where he and I would live in one of the units, splitting the cost of the mortgage, while tenants pay to rent the other unit? Is this type of partnership impossible with FHA? Would forming an LLC alleviate any issues regarding this? Any help is appreciated, thanks

User Stats

Votes
John Jackson
  • Investor
  • North Richland Hills, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 11 2012, 08:00

You would EACH have to QUALIFY for the loan. You can't combine incomes to qualify unless you are married.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 11 2012, 08:27

Thanks John,

So given that each of our incomes qualify for the mortgage individually, this is a possibility?

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
John Jackson
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 11 2012, 17:17

WEll....assuming DTI, scores, public records etc......yes.

User Stats

Votes
James H.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jul 11 2012, 17:53
Originally posted by Andrew Emery:
Thanks John,

So given that each of our incomes qualify for the mortgage individually, this is a possibility?

I see nothing but downside to this. I would highly recommend your first property be sans partners. I know you are just brainstorming...

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 12 2012, 05:48

Brian Hoyt,

At this point I am just brainstorming, but why exactly do you think such a partnership would be so undesirable? Any specific experiences?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Jul 12 2012, 06:11

Because you both have to agree on any decision. That will seem easy now, but I can tell you from experience it is not. At some point, you will want to do one thing and the partner something else. Eventually, you will have to come to a decision. Feelings will get hurt. Your friendship will be damaged, perhaps irreparably.

Why bother? If you can qualify for the loan on your own, buy the place. If you friend wants to live there, too (in your unit, I assume you mean), have him or her pay rent. Much simpler. You're in charge of the property. They're just paying rent, so can leave whenever they want. If you do have a falling out, you don't have a property to divide.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 12 2012, 06:52

Thanks Jon,

I'll definitely keep that in mind

User Stats

Votes
John Jackson
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 12 2012, 13:52

Brian and Jon are right...if you can qualify, then why bring in the other person?
Hopefully it's not too late to tell him you want to go it alone on the finance.
I have a feeling it's to the point where if you tell him you want to finance on your own that he's going to think you are greedy and in it for yourself and hate you.