Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Student Loans and Real Estate

Andrew Emery
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jul 2 2012, 16:14

Hey everybody,

I am entering the final year of my undergraduate education this fall and am hoping to embark on my first real estate investment upon graduation. A major obstacle standing in my way is the amount of student loans I will have to pay back. I currently have a very well paying internship that I am pretty confident will result in a full time offer for next summer. Because of this internship, I am in a position where I can potentially pay for the 2012-2013 school year's tuition up front. What I am wondering, is if I should pay off as much tuition as possible with money earned this summer (along with previous savings) or to let the same loans I have used the previous years disburse and use that money to supplement a real estate investment after I graduate, despite the additional interest I will need to pay (mix of subsidized and unsubsidized at around 6.5%)

I have heard mixed opinions on this matter, and I feel that making loan repayment a priority instead of just paying the minimum monthly balance when I gradate will force me to miss out on the wonderful opportunity that is real estate investment.

I just feel that this could be the only way to turn the financial disadvantage of paying for my own education into a great investment tool.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...