Votes
Dave Schimmels
Pro Member
Votes |
Rental comp calculation

Dave Schimmels
Pro Member
Posted Apr 22 2024, 04:33

What is a good way to get accurate rent comps with existing tenants based on the area? I have a duplex in cleveland with a combined 2,336 sq. ft. Are the comps from the Bigger Pockets per unit figures? Each unit is $725. I feel I'm on the low end, but my COC return a year later is roughly 14%. I've been updating things that need it and lucky enough, I can do the work myself to keep cost down for now, only because it be my first rental.

any advise would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Apr 22 2024, 06:38
Quote from @Dave Schimmels:

What is a good way to get accurate rent comps with existing tenants based on the area? I have a duplex in cleveland with a combined 2,336 sq. ft. Are the comps from the Bigger Pockets per unit figures? Each unit is $725. I feel I'm on the low end, but my COC return a year later is roughly 14%. I've been updating things that need it and lucky enough, I can do the work myself to keep cost down for now, only because it be my first rental.

Thanks

Talk to experienced PM's and Landlords in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Apr 22 2024, 09:42

@James Wise Nailed it. I would reach out to experienced PMs, landlords, and realtors in your area to see what others are charging. Going to local RE meetups can be a great way to make these connections!

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 22 2024, 14:12
Quote from @Dave Schimmels:

Thanks

Talk to experienced PM's in the area. I have a rolodex of connections if you would like.

Also you can use a combination of the websites below

rentometer.com

zillow.com  (look for the ones with a lot of applications

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Larson
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 23 2024, 12:55

Local PM's can get you the most accurate rent amount for your property. The online tools are a good way to get a ballpark number and can sometimes be close to accurate, but a PM is able to tell you a more accurate amount.