• Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
Has anyone done a BRRR in Europe?

Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Posted May 4 2019, 20:19

I am from Spain. Living in the US now, planning to go back to Spain within the next 5 years and I am wondering if anyone has experience using the BRrr strategy there.

User Stats

Votes
Erwin Groenendijk
  • Investor
  • Barcelona & Valencia (Spain)
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 5 2019, 03:56

Hi @Joaquin Camarasa, we are now busy with the topic trying to figure out the way/contacts via which it is possible to do this. The requirements are different for an individual and companies, of course, but there should be a way. The only thing that lacks for us at the moment is finding that way. I am Dutch and living in Barcelona, so once we know more I am happy to share the information with you. Where are you from originally in Spain?

If others already did this research or even put the refinancing in practice already (preferably in Spain), please reach out.

Erwin

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied May 5 2019, 05:58

@Erwin Groenendijk

I am from Valencia. I am going to spend two months this summer and I am planning to talk to everyone I can to figure out if it's possible and how it would work.

I have been analizing properties and the numbers tend to work. However, I have the feeling that the refi part would be a lot more complicated in Spain. Just a feeling I don't have the facts. Planning to discover it this summer in person.

Connecting with you now.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gilbert R.
  • Investor
  • Barcelona and Menorca (Spain)
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Barcelona and Menorca (Spain)
Replied May 5 2019, 09:13

@Joaquin Camarasa

+1 also trying to implement BRRRR in Spain, Barcelona area (Vallès). I've been talking to banks about the refi and it does look challenging, although I'd say not impossible. Looks like what makes the difference is having a strong relationship and track record with a bank. For now the bank says they need to know what is the money going to be used for (the central bank may ask), and ‘liquidity' doesn't look enough.

Let’s stay connected and share findings..!

Gilbert

User Stats

Votes
Erwin Groenendijk
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 5 2019, 13:39

@Joaquin Camarasa, we did some and still doing some projects in Valencia. Once you are there, please let us know. Would be nice to contact in person and share the ideas further. Are you looking for BRRR'ing as an individual or a company?

Exactly, @Gilbert R.. There are more characteristics though. Have you guys been talking to mortgage brokers? These brokers can do an amazing job of making things with banks possible that for normal individuals are impossible. Getting the best interest rates, doing (re-)taxations, changing the percentage for a down payments that needs to be paid or for the % in refinancing to get back.

We are actually planning our next meet up in Barcelona about refinancing where a mortgage broker is coming to have a talk. Would be nice to have the both of you there, but will also give you a recap how it was.

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied May 5 2019, 15:55

@Erwin Groenendijk

I am looking to Brrrr as an individual. Could you explain further why is different doing it as an individual than for a company?

I would appreciate mortgage brokers connections.

Unfortunately, I am arriving to Spain on July and I will be the whole summer in Valencia with family.

User Stats

Votes
Erwin Groenendijk
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 6 2019, 07:31

Individuals and companies are representing different possible risks for banks to loan money too. Or, in our situation now, to refinance a property with a mortgage/loan.

It is most likely all about track records based on different characteristics. For companies, for example, the length of owning a company and owning other assets. For individuals, employee contracts, other assets, your history of mortgages/loans. Among other requirements of course.

User Stats

Votes
Erwin Groenendijk
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Sep 25 2019, 14:44

Guys, coming back after having done quite some research and asking around. BRRRR for individuals in Spain is not possible, however, for companies it is if you talk with the right people. Not like 75% as in the US, but you can get a LT(new)V of 50%.

Let me know if I should bring you in contact with our specialized mortgage broker who is helping us out in one of our projects.

User Stats

Votes
James De Stefano
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 25 2019, 14:59

I can only imagine rehabbing a house built in 1600's... 400 year old foundation repair :)

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 20 2021, 13:31

Hi everyone! 

I am thinking about it in Hungary middle Europe. I am contact with banks and it seems that the refinance could work, but the interest rate will tend to 5%. I planned to do that in 2023 until I save up for the flat. Afterward I will keep you updated. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 24 2024, 23:44
Quote from @Erwin Groenendijk:

Guys, coming back after having done quite some research and asking around. BRRRR for individuals in Spain is not possible, however, for companies it is if you talk with the right people. Not like 75% as in the US, but you can get a LT(new)V of 50%.

Let me know if I should bring you in contact with our specialized mortgage broker who is helping us out in one of our projects.

Hey Erwin, have you managed to do some projects in barcelona now?

User Stats

Votes
Erwin Groenendijk
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Apr 25 2024, 03:10

Hi @Max Alings, yes it is now possible to do the refinancing set-up in Spain. The only thing is that will not allow you to do it as a cash-out refinance, because they only allow you to directly invest the money given in a new property with financing from that bank.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 25 2024, 03:17

Hi @Erwin Groenendijk,

Thanks for your response! 

So as long as you find the next deal, you can refinance and pour it directly into the next deal? 

So cool, I just noticed you founded enter coliving. I used to rent a room with you guys in el born a couple of years ago haha loved that place. 

Would love to pick your brain about real estate investing in Spain. Do you still live in Barcelona?
I would like to buy apartments in barcelona and fix them up and rent them out long term or flip them. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Erwin Groenendijk
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Apr 25 2024, 04:02

Nice to hear 👍 Will reply to you in private