Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes

Dayton Area RE Experienced CPA?

Posted Apr 24 2024, 10:25

Calling all Dayton, OH area investors, is anyone willing to share a referral for a great CPA with experience navigating buy and hold and flip investments?

Newbie investors here jumping into our first BRRR after househacking for the last two years in Dayton.

Thank you all! 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 13:25

If I could chime in to help in the search:

be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.

Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Walsh
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 24 2024, 16:35
Quote from @Miranda Obermiller:

Calling all Dayton, OH area investors, is anyone willing to share a referral for a great CPA with experience navigating buy and hold and flip investments?

Newbie investors here jumping into our first BRRR after househacking for the last two years in Dayton.

Thank you all! 

Essex and Associates

(937) 432-1040

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 26 2024, 00:34

@Miranda Obermiller

I recommend finding an accountant specializing in real estate taxation. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#3 Classifieds Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Classifieds Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 27 2024, 14:44

One often overlooked item for those who invest in Ohio is not filing the locality returns.

Ohio is a unique state where they require locality returns to be filed in addition to the state return.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Weinhart
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Cincinnati OH 45209, USA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Cincinnati OH 45209, USA
Replied Apr 27 2024, 19:35
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

One often overlooked item for those who invest in Ohio is not filing the locality returns.

Ohio is a unique state where they require locality returns to be filed in addition to the state return.

The fun part with Ohio is that half of the municipalities require it, and the other half don't, and there's no real consistency to it. Plus they could tax off of residency and/or income depending on the locality. Being that I live/am licensed in Ohio, I've filed thousands of these returns so they're pretty much second nature to me. About half of the returns I get from newcomers that had a locality return in the PY prepared by a CPA out of state either didn't file at all, or it was done incorrectly. I even remember for a while that some of the big commercial tax companies didn't support local returns.

Plus until last year (might've started for TY 2022, I forget) everything was paper file only. Only recently could you e-file the return for RITA. Still have to mail the rest of them though.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:46
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

absolutely, yes! full transparency, my partner and I got ourselves into trouble last year forgetting to file our local taxes in our new mucipality as we did not realize local taxes needed to be filed as well. we ended up hiring a tax accountant at the very last minute to help (after receiving mailed noticed) and went through all of this trouble for a measly $20 return. at least we got something for it, I suppose.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:49
Quote from @Bill Hampton:

@Miranda Obermiller

I recommend finding an accountant specializing in real estate taxation. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck.

absolutely, yes. we feel confident about filing, but absolutely ignorant to long term tax strategy!