Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Smith
  • New to Real Estate
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Best location in the 804 area code (RVA) to do a traditional house hack?

Joshua Smith
  • New to Real Estate
  • Richmond, VA
Posted Jan 12 2024, 19:05

I am looking into getting my first house hack at the end of this year by going the traditional route and getting a multi-family. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best locations in the 804 area code (Greater Richmond, Virginia) for me to start? I currently rent in RVA, but I'm wondering if there's a better location outside of the city for me to start and grow.

Would appreciate any advice, I love hearing different opinions! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 12 2024, 19:21
I like powhatan and goochland, we have houses in both counties.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Replied Jan 14 2024, 10:07

Church Hill / Church Hill North will have inventory of what you need.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Spurlock
  • Realtor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 16 2024, 09:01

Hey @Joshua Smith, Richmond-area investor and realtor here. Love your plan to house hack - it's the best and most affordable way to enter into the real estate investing game!

A quick answer to your question: you're mostly (not entirely) going to be limited to Richmond city limits if you want to buy a true multifamily property (duplex, triplex, etc). Northside, The Fan, Jackson Ward, Church Hill. There just aren't many true MF properties in the surrounding counties. I helped a client buy a duplex in Jackson Ward on Clay St. They rented out the big unit out front, while living in the 1 bedroom unit on the back of the building. They have since moved out and are now renting out both units, and on to their next property.

An alternative idea would be to house hack by renting out individual bedrooms (any single family house would do), a walkout basement (slightly more rare), or a garage apartment (even more rare). This could open your search up to almost anywhere you want to be in the 804 where you can find a single family home that would work.

Happy to chat more, feel free to shoot me a DM if interested. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin C.
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 16 2024, 13:12

^^I echo what Brandon shared. My biggest regret is not buying a house hack for my first property in 2017. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin Jones
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Richmond VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Richmond VA
Replied Feb 12 2024, 16:42

Hi Mr. Smith, You will need to stay within the city to find a small multifamily property. The neighborhoods of Church Hill and the Fan are known for having higher rents and better appreciation rates for multifamily properties. However, the higher prices in these areas can make it harder to afford and make the numbers work. On the other hand, Jackson Ward and Manchester offer lower prices and rents with less appreciation, but they are easier to afford and easier to cash flow/break even. Feel free to reach out to me if you need help with anything!