Skip to content
Classifieds

User Stats

Votes

Looking for referrals in Columbus! (Contractors, PMs, Inspection Companies)

Savannah Walbert
Posted May 1 2024, 12:43

Hello! My fiancé and I are starting our REI journey and have started to put in some offers on properties in Columbus OH. Just made an offer on a place in the North Hilltop neighborhood that has a high likelihood of being accepted and now we are transitioning from constantly crunching numbers on deals to really solidifying a great team. (We already have a realtor and lender we are comfortable with, but other pieces of the core 4 still need to be put in place)

1. Home inspection company - First thing that is going to come up is home inspection. We want to make sure we are getting an experienced inspector with a reputable company, but we also definitely do not want to be over-paying for inspection. What is a standard/fair price for inspection? Any specific adders we should request?

2. Contractor - The property we offered on will need cosmetic rehab, but most major capex items (roof, water heater, furnace, electrical) have been updated within the last 5-8 years. Our realtor has a couple of contractors he recommends, and we will definitely be getting their quotes and considering them. We do however want to consider some contractors that aren’t associated with the realtor we are working with, if for no other reason than verifying cost estimates and shopping around a bit. So any recommendations for contractors in Columbus who are good at working with OOS investors would be much appreciated. We would rather have someone who will work quickly and get the job done right over someone who is a bit cheaper but is going to do bad work.

3. Property management - In the same vain as the contractors, our realtor has some PM recs but we do want to shop around a bit on this as well. We know that this piece can absolutely make or break the investment and want to make sure we have a solid, honest PM company.

Thanks so much and looking forward to getting everyone’s recommendations!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 1 2024, 16:37
Quote from @Savannah Walbert:

Hello! My fiancé and I are starting our REI journey and have started to put in some offers on properties in Columbus OH. Just made an offer on a place in the North Hilltop neighborhood that has a high likelihood of being accepted and now we are transitioning from constantly crunching numbers on deals to really solidifying a great team. (We already have a realtor and lender we are comfortable with, but other pieces of the core 4 still need to be put in place)

1. Home inspection company - First thing that is going to come up is home inspection. We want to make sure we are getting an experienced inspector with a reputable company, but we also definitely do not want to be over-paying for inspection. What is a standard/fair price for inspection? Any specific adders we should request?

2. Contractor - The property we offered on will need cosmetic rehab, but most major capex items (roof, water heater, furnace, electrical) have been updated within the last 5-8 years. Our realtor has a couple of contractors he recommends, and we will definitely be getting their quotes and considering them. We do however want to consider some contractors that aren’t associated with the realtor we are working with, if for no other reason than verifying cost estimates and shopping around a bit. So any recommendations for contractors in Columbus who are good at working with OOS investors would be much appreciated. We would rather have someone who will work quickly and get the job done right over someone who is a bit cheaper but is going to do bad work.

3. Property management - In the same vain as the contractors, our realtor has some PM recs but we do want to shop around a bit on this as well. We know that this piece can absolutely make or break the investment and want to make sure we have a solid, honest PM company.

licensed general contractor, we do ground up deals in columbus mostly multifamily and mixed use. happy to look if your strategy is to purchase land and entitle it. we build a triplex that we have sold to a few people in biggerpockets and a few partnerships have formed from it. we also are in Miami FL 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied May 2 2024, 05:10

@Savannah Walbert
I'll send some recommendations  

Reafco- Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 2 2024, 05:19

I'd pass on the hilltop deal by the way, you can build with more equity closer to downtown in bronzeville / king Lincoln (43203), Franklinton (43222 and 43223) and south side (43206). hilltop is about another mile from the downtown adjacents that I just mentioned and new construction lags there. we look at new construction numbers as drivers of economic interest and I can show you how much hilltop struggles. I wouldn't touch a deal there or even build there for years to come. anyone pushing you there as an agent is doing so because of the lack of inventory and financial motivation to make a commission. I know because I did it for years. 5 years ago I was saying the same thing. 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 2 2024, 08:25

I can send you some referrals in Columbus, Ohio.
  • Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo