Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Eric Stugart
Votes |
Flipping and BRRRRing in Bessemer, AL

Eric Stugart
Posted Apr 25 2024, 16:15

Hi, I am interested in investing in the Bessemer area of Birmingham, AL and I was wondering if fix and flips or BRRRR's work there? Is that a high crime area?

Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 25 2024, 18:28

Your investment objectives determine your loan type. Fix n flip is a quick turnaround interest only loan for a term of 6 to 24 months The BRRR method is used for buy, rehab, rent and repeat with a more conventional mortgage structure. Do you want to be a landlord investor? Or is the idea of a purchase to rehab and sell more appealing?

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Apr 25 2024, 20:15

I would connect with a local realtor to get some opinions 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Stugart
Votes |
Replied Apr 26 2024, 11:39
Quote from @Chyson Shuffleburg:

Your investment objectives determine your loan type. Fix n flip is a quick turnaround interest only loan for a term of 6 to 24 months The BRRR method is used for buy, rehab, rent and repeat with a more conventional mortgage structure. Do you want to be a landlord investor? Or is the idea of a purchase to rehab and sell more appealing?

Thank you Chyson!  I haven’t done a deal yet so I was thinking that if I did a fix and flip first it would get my feet wet and I would get some experience and then I can move onto a BRRRR or becoming a landlord.  What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Stugart
Votes |
Replied Apr 26 2024, 11:40
Quote from @Jacob Sherman:

I would connect with a local realtor to get some opinions 

Thank you Jacob, that’s a good idea.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2024, 14:50

I would advise you to network with experienced flippers thru REI clubs and Meetups to see the realities of what it takes to execute a flip successfully. It's not only the rehab but the ability to market and sell the property before the balloon payment comes due. Flipping sounds like the easiest entry into real estate investing but from what I have seen it has the most pitfalls for a new investor.

User Stats

Votes
Nina Penuela
  • Property Manager
  • Florence, AL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Florence, AL
Replied Apr 26 2024, 16:17

Hey @Eric Stugart

Congrats on wanting to start your investment journey in Birmingham, are you open to exploring Florence or the Shoals area? That´s a great market as well. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or need further assistance. Happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Stugart
Votes |
Replied Apr 28 2024, 12:16
Quote from @Chyson Shuffleburg:

I would advise you to network with experienced flippers thru REI clubs and Meetups to see the realities of what it takes to execute a flip successfully. It's not only the rehab but the ability to market and sell the property before the balloon payment comes due. Flipping sounds like the easiest entry into real estate investing but from what I have seen it has the most pitfalls for a new investor.

Thank you Chyson, I didn’t know that.  I will look for REI clubs and meet ups, do you have a recommendation on a good place to look?

User Stats

Votes
David Chappell
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 6 2024, 08:50

There are decent areas of Bessemer, but its mostly non owner occupied properties. If you can find a good enough deal to do some cosmetic upgrades you might be able to make decent money selling to a first time home buyer, or maybe turnkey rental investor. I would stay away from the areas in red.

User Stats

Votes
David Chappell
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 6 2024, 08:51
Quote from @David Chappell:

There are decent areas of Bessemer, but its mostly non owner occupied properties. If you can find a good enough deal to do some cosmetic upgrades you might be able to make decent money selling to a first time home buyer, or maybe turnkey rental investor. I would stay away from the areas in red.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Votes |
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Replied May 6 2024, 13:53

Eric,

You have been given solid advice already, but I thought I would add my input. First I would say to start building your team. Find a good qualified realtor that knows the area well that is willing to not only work with you, but teach some of the business from their perspective. I would also definitely join a local real estate club as was suggested. You can learn a lot from fellow investors in your market, but make sure you listen to those that are actually investing in real estate not just talking about investing in real estate. You will also need a good real estate attorney that can advise you on deals, a good CPA that knows the details about investment real estate, insurance agent, and contractors who can provide you bids on work that needs to be done on the properties you look at. 

There are other members you will want on your team, but those will get you started. You need to do your research to see what is selling in your target market, for how much, with what features. Also research what properties are renting for in your market. Whenever I buy a property I always have at least two exit plans.

I know that was wordy when I could have simply said, I have never seen a market where a fix and flip would not work. I think if you buy a property for the right amount, make the right repairs, and sell it for the right price it will work. Obviously, some areas are better then others, but its a numbers game.

Determine how much the remodel will cost to include holding cost and get a good estimate of what the property will sell for and then figure if that leaves you enough profit to make it worth your effort. Make sure you leave a buffer in your budget because sometimes unexpected expenses come up. Good luck.